News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old trade card from Blue town Sheerness  (Read 2713 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: Old trade card from Blue town Sheerness
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 21:35:12 »
Thanks for that Herb Collector I would love to see the rest of the article when you have time. Here is a recent picture of the Albion Hall as it is today, I should imagine it is the same place though the card looks more spacious and a grander building. A bit of artistic licence I think on the part of the advertiser :).

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Re: Old trade card from Blue town Sheerness
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 20:20:38 »
Hi, From interview with a chap who preferred not to give his name.
(Sheerness) Guardian and East Kent Advertiser, 13th feb 1909.
    Refering to Albion Hall, the premises of councillor Jas tower, c,c, my informant explained that it was, first of all, an important market place, known as "The Emporium" Afterwards it was a police court, and, later on, a grocers shop owned by Mr Johnson..
Later in the same article, concerning around 1850.
J Beal. clothier: the market or Emporium: James Herbert had premises here, In an upper room of which was a billiard table.
The Emporium Is now the Albion bar.
 Will post complete article when i have more time.
Article posted in Old Bluetown and Sheerness.     

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Old trade card from Blue town Sheerness
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 15:20:52 »
I was having a bit of a clear out of one of my drawers just now and came across this old trade card which I should have on display really but thought some of you might like to see as it is from the early days of Blue Town. James Beal is listed in Pigots directory of 1839 under three seperate occupations..I do not know if it was three shops etc as no Road details are shown but as it is an Emporium he probably traded from this one place.As you can see from the date above the door he must have started up in 1837 He is listed as....

Grocer and dealer in Sundries.
Tailor and Draper.
China and Glass dealer.

>

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines