News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Fort Delce, Rochester  (Read 38543 times)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
Re: Fort Delce, Rochester
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2018, 22:17:02 »
Roseann, just to get it right, the "down stairs " flat was actually built into part of a vaulted chamber. As I recall there was a door that opens directly onto the road , roughly opposite the Rising Sun pub,but please remember I am going back some twenty five years ago. There was a massive reconstruction program envisaged when I left their employment, so much of the area I talk of may no longer be accessible.
Watts charities were very concerned over the privacy of the residents, rightly so, so I think any request to explore would most likely be met with a polite refusal, all the best Signals99.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2018, 22:19:16 »
The brickworks that are left can be seen on the grass bank by the bungalows and parts of the wall are still there as the used car dealers use part of the gun tower. I didn't know it went as far as St Catherines, which is great to know. I would love to be able to find out if the access is still there in the downstairs flat, I was told, although I am not sure, that the air raid shelter just along the Delce was part of the gun tower.
Hope x

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2018, 02:18:17 »
Hi Roseann, thanks for the pics, very hard to orientate the gun tower with today's area, but every bit of information adds to the overall picture. When I worked for Watts Charities, there were a few coping stones from a parapet plus a WD property stone laying about behind St. Catherine`s hospital, that was more years ago than I care to remember, but part of the underground areas could still be accessed via the "down stairs flat", not a lot I grant you, but it was definitely there.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2018, 23:50:18 »
Here are a few old pics I found of Delce gun tower .
Hope x

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2018, 23:36:04 »
Delce was indeed never a fort but a gun tower as was Gibraltar gun tower part of the defences across the Medway towns .
Hope x

Offline RobinT

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 11:30:44 »
Hi
I live close to Delce Tower (it was never a fort, but termed a defensible guardhouse in military language) and with the miracle of modern pc apps I am able to construct a 3D model from the existing plans and OS maps as posted here.  I would be pleased to share these sketches with interested person and invite comment that would help me improve the model.

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2016, 11:28:05 »
Can I say I never realised there WAS a fort in that area.

To me it's one of those features you just travel pass without really noticing it. I've seen that brick structure on Delce Road lots of times, but my mind's never really questioned it until I saw this thread.

This is one of the things I love about local history like this - you could spend everyday of your whole life living in one particular area, and even then after all these years you STILL learn something new about your area you were completely unaware of.  :)

I'm 36 years old. I spent most of my life in and around Medway, and yet after all these years I'm still discovering things like this fort that I've been completely unaware of my entire life! :)

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 20:50:40 »
Rochester-bred, I can confirm that there are extensive underground chambers in the area of the Delce gun tower. Many moons ago I worked for the Richard Watts Charities, St. Cathryn's hospital is built on part of the Napoleonic defences and, at the time I was employed by them, it was possible to acces the site from a flight of stairs (now covered by concrete slabs). It may well be that now it is not possible due to extensive refurbishments of St.  Cathryn's over the years, but they are there, I assure you.

Signals99, around 6 years ago when my mum was alive she got a letter saying they were going to let people have a tour of the shelter but it never came to pass, my mum lived at 97 Delce rd, the last bungalow by Onslow rd.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2016, 15:26:35 »
Rochester-bred, I can confirm that there are extensive underground chambers in the area of the delce gun tower. Many moons ago I worked for the Richard Watts Charities, St. Cathryn's hospital is built on part of the Napoleonic defences and, at the time I was employed by them, it was possible to acces the site from a flight of stairs (now covered by concrete slabs). It may well be that now it is not possible due to extensive refurbishments of St.  Cathryn's over the years, but they are there, I assure you.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2016, 08:14:47 »
Delce was not really a fort, just a gun tower, part of the great defences across Medway. Would love to have a look inside as there are two entrances that can been accessed, one where the car sales is and one further along, a metal door in the wall. Inside, people used it during the war as an air raid shelter.
***I am still the child within***

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2016, 10:55:26 »
There are no connecting tunnels apparently.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 10:45:12 »
I've been trying to work out where the covered way crossed Jackson's Field from the 1940s aerial photos.There's lots of distractions from the WW2 scars. Fort Pitt is easy to recognize though and not all of the ditch appears to be infilled.I can remember having a look in 1967 around the cleared area where the casemated barracks used to be. Did I read correctly, earlier in this thread, that a connecting tunnel between Pitt and Delce was turned into a sewer? I'll look back.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2016, 17:55:57 »
Many thanks Cliveh! That's the file and I've downloaded it from your link. .I've got it on my old PC, but the keyboard is not working on that one.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2016, 14:52:16 »
Here you go Tower Will :)

cliveh

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 09:48:46 »
A very interesting subject.I thought i had a PDF file of the E.H. survey of the nearby Jackson's Field earthworks on this tablet but i've not found it yet.The file has aerial photos of the area taken in the 1940s, if my memory is correct, which also shows the infilling of Fort Pitt's ditches.I've Googled 'EH survey Jackson's Field,Chatham' but not found the PDF file to download.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines