News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Rochester Castle  (Read 65193 times)

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
Re: Rochester Castle
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2017, 16:26:03 »
Oops!  I was sitting on a cannon gun, not tank.  Sorry.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2017, 12:46:40 »
I used to go to the castle with my gran back in the 60s and remember the chap selling birdseed to feed the pigeons, a thing that is discouraged now 
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2017, 10:36:24 »
I too remember the entrance and wooden slats to walk over as Keith G mentions, and they were the dungeons directly below. Does anyone remember the 'bird seed seller?.  Over by where the old toilets were was a man from whom you could buy bags of seeds or nuts to feed the pigeons.  I also remember that there was a small childrens golf course on the grass (as you went up the stone steps to the gardens it was on the left hand side).  My memories are from the 1950's.

Regarding the tank. I don't know when it was removed but it was certainly still there in 1976.  Apologise for the photo - but I was young and wild!!!

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2017, 07:33:55 »
Cat, thanks for your input . The date given in the report would make me about eighteen? My memory of the visit was that it took place during my last year at St Margarets, just prior to transferring to Troy Town, I'm not to certain at what age that would have happened, maybe ten or eleven  years, so 1951/52 would be the time frame.
There was a brick retaining wall on the castle side of the moat, with a small wooden door in the wall, this led to a few steps up to the height of the embankment in front of the curtain wall, see KeithJG entry for confirmation. The excavation was almost adjacent to that door at this point. I will admit my memory grows hazy, I was more interested in Mr Berry`s story of something referred to as "apied powdre " please forgive my spelling. I think it was French or Latin? But never the less it instilled in me an interest in archaeological things that lasts till today. Bring back Time Team!.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2017, 21:01:17 »
I don't know if this helps with the question from singnals99 regards the excavation near Satis House? I have scoured the archives and found that an excavation did take place in late 1959 immediately to the southwest of Satis House by A. J. F. Dulley with the help of pupils of the local King's School, Rochester. However, this was to search for evidence of an earlier Motte and Bailey castle adjacent to the present castle and keep? I attach a copy of the only report I can find from Archaeologia Cantiana Vol 74; 1960. Could this be it, though the date for it is incorrect with singnals99 memory? Could there have been an earlier excavation attempt that has gone largely unreported?

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2017, 17:14:10 »
And a beautiful four-masted barque in the background......
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

KeithJG

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2017, 16:44:03 »
I too remember that small door entrance to the keep and paid 3d in around 1957 it was a dodgy looking bridge that had to be walked over and i also thought below were the dungeons?

In fact the last time i went there about 2yrs back i went down the passageway from inside and i do believe it was the dungeons?

I always went up the castle from the swimming pool on my way back home.

I have this interesting postcard taken from the top of the keep and it shows Rochester Bridge but in the right hand corner the old WW1 Tank which i have never seen on a card so we are after 1919.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2017, 05:42:16 »
Bilgerat thanks for lead, much appreciated.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2017, 17:27:40 »
Signals99, it's mentioned earlier in this very thread - http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1859.msg13582#msg13582

The movie 'Ironclad' tells the story too, although there's a fair amount of dramatic license.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2017, 20:54:47 »
Dave Smith. as you have opened this topic again, can I sneak in a question ref Rochester castle?
About 1947/1950 I was nine years old, I was attending St Margaret`s Primary School, just up the road from the castle. Our head master, Mr. Berry took us down to the old moat area where, just outside the entrance to Satis house buildings in the old moat, some houses had been demolished and an archaeological dig was in progress. We were told it was looking for traces of a tunnel or earth work involved with the breaching of the keep during the siege by King John. Never did hear anything more about it. Anyone satisfy my curiosity?

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2017, 13:32:41 »
Flag mast a bit shorter but otherwise doesn't seem to have changed much!

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2017, 21:14:34 »
Photo of Rochester Castle Image copied from an Ilford ISO chromatic Glass Plate and has been Photoshopped. Date unknown but looking at the clothing, possibly Victorian.??
Regards Troyboy.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=19619.msg174136#new

Offline ETA

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2013, 15:58:57 »
Merv, you remember correctly, assuming I do too.  These 'spectaculars' were known as 'Son et Lumiere' evenings, and when I get back to Blighty next year I shall see whether I can find some of the publicity for them in my old files.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2013, 10:55:33 »
Merv :)

I dare say that there will be something at Medway Archives Centre at Strood who hold the local press archives for this era. It is sometime ago that I was there, but I believe the papers from this era to be bound copies (I might be wrong) which is a lot easier to read, rather than on microfisch film which, for those of us who have used, will tell you that it can be rather time-consuming as the  pages don't always run in order.

Hope this helps.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2013, 18:53:49 »
Merv :)

You are spot on. My Auntie and Uncle took me there during the 60's. I remember it as clear as day (I won a goldfish) and the following day, we went on the train to Broadstairs. Happy Days! :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines