News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Modify message

Please help keep the forum tidy by using suitable grammar and punctuation.
Message icon:

Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:21:02
Uncheck the attachments you no longer want attached:
Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Who is Admin on this site?:
First name of website:
Which town with a castle overlooks France?:
What is the last month of the year?:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

Topic Summary

Posted by: stewyrey
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:13:56 »

The forts were constructed at the Red Lion wharf (site of the now
demolished Northfleet power station) on the Thames.

Posted by: stewyrey
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:06:39 »

Not sure this film is of Nore fort, but a Maunsall fort all the same,

Posted by: kyn
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:28:51 »

Henri Louis Chaffard is listed as being buried at Halfway Cemetery, Sheppey on 27th July 1954 aged 63.
Posted by: kyn
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:44:56 »

It did. 1968 I think.
Posted by: afsrochester
« on: February 03, 2010, 15:04:35 »

Didn't Shivering Sands Fort lose one of its towers in a similar incident? That would have been in the early 60's.
Posted by: kyn
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:38:52 »

Last few pictures, saved till last as you can see the towers themselves instead of sections of them  :)
Posted by: kyn
« on: January 28, 2010, 21:02:08 »

The repairs.
Posted by: kyn
« on: January 21, 2010, 18:03:33 »

Some photo's showing the damage being repaired

Posted by: kyn
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:18:52 »

Another accident occurred in 1954 when the Mairoula collided with the fort, this prompted the War Office to order the removal of the forts as they stood so close to the shipping lanes. 

A couple of pictures showing the damage to the searchlight tower after Mairoula-M crashed into it.
Posted by: kyn
« on: November 28, 2008, 16:03:44 »

The Nore Forts (U5) were the first of three sea forts built for the Army primarily to give warning of enemy attack by using new radar equipment, a No. 3 Mk 2 subsequently updated and modernised to Radar No. 3 Mk 7, and also to break up enemy air formations, prevent mine laying within the route to London and generally protect the coast and London from an attack.  The Forts were designed by Mr G. A. Maunsell and built by Halloway Brothers from Gravesend, the seven 300 tonne towers at the Nore Sands, situated 2.5 nautical miles from Sheerness, were pre-constructed and towed on a barge by three tugs before being sunk in place between 20th May and 3rd July 1943
.  The forts consisted of five gun towers, holding a 3.7" MK 2c with automatic loaders by Mollins of Deptfordeach, surrounding a central command tower, that was also armed, and a tower set behind for Sperry Predictors No. 11 searchlight and a No. 2 Mk 2 searchlight.  The towers were connected by walkways, they were self-contained with fuel and food stores and accommodation areas to house the 120 men who were manning them.  The crew on board would be there fr four weeks before being taken ashore and staying at the drill hall and HMS Pembroke in Gillingham for ten days, the unit was named the First A.A. Fort Regiment R.A. Thames.  Stores were shipped out to the forts by the R.A.S.C. Water Transport Company from Sheerness using small-armed trawlers.

The Royal artillery left the forts in September 1945, four months after hostilities ceased and the Anti-Aircraft Fort Maintenance Detachment took over, these remained on site until 1956.  In 1948 the Ministry of Defence visite
d the fort, they were looking into a new design of a heavy anti-aircraft fort comprising of nine towers, this proved too expensive and the design was scrapped in 1953.  On 1st March the same year the Baalbeck, a Swedish pulp carrier, collided with the Bofors 64 Gun Tower, knocking it over, four civilians were killed and six caretakers were taken ashore for treatment.

Another accident occurred in 1954 when the Mairoula collided with the fort, this prompted the War Office to order the removal of the forts as they stood so close to the shipping lanes.  A floating crane barge removed the searchlights and radar in 1956 and taken to Chatham Dockyard, the foghorn and remaining lighting were removed the following year.  The fort were finally dismantled between 1959 and 1960, some of the top house was bought as scrap by Matthew Lynch and Son Ltd on the River Medway, the reinforced concrete legs were removed with the bases being towed ashore and left at Alpha Wharf near Cliffe Fort where they can be seen at low tide.  The rest of the debris was left spread around the Nore Sands.

Posted by: kyn
« on: May 08, 2008, 12:20:49 »

Cutting from a newspaper dated 6 march 1953

Four of the civilian personnel of the great Nore Fort, one a Minster man, lost their lives Sunday afternoon, when the fort was hit during thick fog by the 2,160-ton Norwegian motor-vessel Baalbek.
Two of the forts seven towers on stilts were knocked over by the ship.  One collapsed and sank, the other fell and came to rest at a 30 degrees angle on the ships deck, at low water when the ship was aground.
Ten maintenance men were on duty at the time.  The four dead are: Mr. James Hanley of 44 Harps Avenue, Minster; Kenneth Rawlinson of no. 53 Trafalgar Street, Gillingham; Mr. Stephen William Willis of Sea Street, Herne Bay; and Henry Louis Chafford of Harbour Street, Whitstable.
The six survivors, three living in Sheppey, are: Mr. Norman Lamb, of Park Road, Sheerness; Mr. Michael Kavanagh and Mr. Wiliam Luckhurst both of Barton's Hill Drive, Minster; Mr. Reginald Cornfieldread of Oxford Road, Canterbury; Mr, William Osborne of Hernhill near Faversham and Mr. David Taylor of Sea Street, Herne Bay.
They were rescued by lifeboats from Southend and Ramsgate, or by service launches.
The vessel owned by Borg and Granger Rolf of Oslo, was on her way from London to Valencia when she ran into the fort.  The scene of the collision was within a mile from where the submarine Truculent sank in january 1950.
An electric generating plant was contained in the sunken tower, and thus all lights were extinguished,.
The men in the fort were unable to raise the alarm, as the collision cut their telephone line to the mainland. First warning sent ashore was from Ballbek herself.  Her radio message was sent just after 4.30m, said:  "In collision with the Nore Towers Thames Estuary and foul of the same.  Towers collapsed".  Army authorities responsible for the fort were notified.
A lifeboat from the Baalbek searched for the missing men.
The call for assistance by the Baalbek was answered by three tugs.
"some text missing" saw the motor vessel heading straight for the fort.
By this time she was crunching her way through the Bofors tower "there were four of us in our tower and we rushed to the catwalk.  The ship seemed to slow up a little in the tide, struck another tower and this collapsed across its bows".
The Great Nore Fort, about five miles out to sea from Sheerness, was built during the war to guard the estuary agaist German mine laying planes, and later it's guns helped to reduce the approaches of a number of flying bombs.

Forgot I had posted this on another forum, will have to do a write up for the website soon!
BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines