Day to Day => Residential => Topic started by: kyn on November 24, 2011, 18:54:54

Title: Residential Glossary
Post by: kyn on November 24, 2011, 18:54:54
Bargeboard A board fastened to the projecting gables of a roof.
Cat-slide Roof A roof with one side longer than the other, usually over an extension.
Dormer A structural element that protrudes from a sloping roof.  Used to create usable spaces in the roof of a building.
Entasis A sight swelling of a decorative column to compensate for the illusion of concavity resulting from straight sides.
Gable A triangular portion of wall between the edges of a loping roof.
Hipped A roof with sloping ends or sides.
Inglenook A small recess that adjoins a fireplace.
Monogram A motif made by overlapping or combining two or more letters to form one symbol.
Mullion A vertical structure used to divide adjacent window units.
Oversailing A surface that projects beyond the general face of the wall immediately below.
Ridge Stack External part of chimney.
Ridge Tile A decorative tile that is bent in cross section and used to cover the ridge of a roof.
Sash Window One or more movable panels (sashes) that form a frame to hold panes of glass.
Stucco A render of aggregate, a binder and water used as a decorative coating for walls.
Transom A beam or bar in a frame, or separating a door from a window or fanlight above.

Title: Re: Residential Glossary
Post by: grandarog on November 25, 2011, 17:00:02
Hi Kyn,  :).

             View the full monty of building terms and descriptions on here,