News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Danes Anchor Brewery, Aylesford  (Read 4858 times)

njennings85

Re: Danes Anchor Brewery, Aylesford
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 12:18:32 »
Many thanks for the information Mike. I too am yet to find a picture of the High Street that shows the brewery, there's a distinct lack of information about it in general.

Mike Hailwood

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 13:50:48 »
The Anchor Brewery was located in Aylesford High Street directly opposite the Little Gem public house, and was pulled down to make way for a modern block of flats/maisonettes. I've seen a number of pictures of the High Street but none quite capturing sight of the old brewery, which I believe had no architectural value.

The bottling plant was I understand along Rochester Road in what is called the Service House, a building which housed one or two businesses such as photographers and a printers. A feint sign, 'Anchor Brewery' used to be seen on one of the white painted walls at the back but this has now been obliterated by time or further painting.  

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 15:39:30 »
1908 OS shows the Bry at the Junction of Mount Pleasant/Vicarage Close
Street Directories  -1891 Thos Danes Anchor Bry Aylesford
                          -1903 Thos Danes Tottington Rd Fm Aylesford
                          -1913 Thos Danes Fern Cottage Aylesford

njennings85

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 14:43:36 »
Thank you for the help.

I think the brewery may have only traded under the name Danes Anchor until the 1920s, it then may have changed to Medway Clubs and then the Metropolitan and Home Counties Club Brewery in the following decades.

The house was indeed linked to the family and we have a few bottles too, although I think they're older and possibly clay ones rather than glass.

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 13:41:03 »
It was topic 4035 on here last posted Jan 4 2010
Googling Anchor brings up a house for sale with links to your family
http://www.propertyshowrooms.com/united-kingdom/property/p-703087/house-villa-aylesford.html

and some bottles
http://brucemobley.com/beerbottlelibrary/gtbritain/aylesford/anchor.htm

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 13:23:47 »
I lived in Aylesford in the 1950s and again in the 1970s and don't remember a working brewery there. My understanding was that the breweries were behind the High St and beside the river. Possibly The Bush in Rochester Rd was the bottling store as it is a huge building just to be a village pub. I have a map showing breweries about 1950 and it only shows one in Aylesford - The Metropolitain & Home Counties Club Brewery. Pretty sure that this has been dscussed before on here and that Sheppey_bottles has some Aylesford bottles. I'll have a rummage

njennings85

Danes Anchor Brewery, Aylesford
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:20:30 »
Hello,

As a descendent of the Danes family of Aylesford, Kent, I'm currently looking into the brewery (Anchor) that stood on the High Street. I'm trying to collect dates and any information associated with it. I have a vague impression that it ran from the 1850s to the 1950s and that there was a bottle store on Rochester Road.

Any knowledge of when it was founded, the size of workforce, beers brewed (there was a family story about a particularly strong ginger beer) etc would be very welcome.

Many thanks

NJ

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines