News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Russian Submarine, River Medway  (Read 57170 times)

KeithJG

Re: Russian Submarine, River Medway
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 15:11:16 »
Learn something new everyday on here....

Went to Hawaii and LA in 2004 and visited Long Beach to see the Queen Mary and had no idea the submarine was the one in the River Medway.

I did not go on the sub but only the ship. The ship is kept in remarkable condition, it is also a floating Hotel.

I sorted through my pictures and you can see the sub alongside the Queen Mary. On the bows there is an advertising sign to visit both.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 16:34:54 »
As seen in the recent Jude Law movie Black Sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urrve_J9F_g

Offline GP

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 09:41:50 »
Whose in charge of moorings in the Medway.

I am surprised this rusting hulk is allowed to stay in such a prominent position.

If it sinks it will be rather difficult and expensive to shift.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 22:04:20 »
Photographed on the 11th June 2004.
Regards,
Ted

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2015, 18:09:52 »
Unless someone spends some serious money on this boat soon, she'll be beyond saving. It's unlikely that the pressure hull will go any time soon. If HMS Ocelot is anything to go by, the pressure hull will probably be about 4 inches thick. What's a more likely failure is something like the propeller shaft glands or the Kingston Valve seals (which open to vent the ballast tanks, allowing the vessel to submerge). If the seals on the Kingston Valves go, she will slowly sink as air escapes from the ballast tanks.

As things stand, from looking at the photos below, she already needs to spend some time in a dry-dock.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Dieselweasel

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 21:53:13 »
I passed by on the train this week, she looks to have settled quite a bit by the stern.
Wouldn't be surprised if she's sunk at her mooring!

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 07:59:06 »
19/07/14   -   
Not in the best of shape & starting to get a few holes in the casing along the waterline.
Hopefully the pressure hull is intact.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 20:45:45 »
No not really, It's a submarine. Dive. Dive. Dive
redge

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 19:27:02 »
Isn't creepy ;)

petermilly

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 18:43:59 »
Just found this on the internet and thought it interesting.......

Inside a Creepy Abandoned Soviet Submarine

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/news-exploring-cold-war-nuclear-submarine?image=0

isleansuz

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 14:20:19 »
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway_messenger/news/2012/december/8/russian_sub.aspx

Extra news for this little gem :)

by Kelly Pike

A production company hopes its bid to film on an old Russian submarine on the River Medway won't sink without a trace.

Dresden Pictures has set up the ambitious project to shoot black comedy The Fitzroy on board the Black Widow submarine moored off Strood.

The movie tells the story of The Fitzroy Hotel – a leaky submarine – where a murderer is on the loose.

The company needs to raise £60,000 to fund the movie and it is hoped a crowd funding site called Kickstarter will raise the cash.

Producer Liam Garvo said: “We have raised £14,970 so far. We want to raise more awareness and get people to pledge some of their hard-earned cash.”

What do you think? Join the debate by adding your comments belowThe production company is setting up a number of fundraising opportunities, including a live performance from the film’s soundtrack producers The Green Rock River Band, who are also set to star in the movie, on London’s South Bank on Sunday, December 16.

Liam said: “We aim to get out there and reach as many people as possible.
“If they are willing to add us on Facebook or Twitter too it means even more people get to hear about what we’re doing.”

If the £60,000 is raised it is hoped pre-production will begin in January or February, with shooting starting at the end of March and the movie is scheduled to be released by September next year.

It’s not the first time The Black Widow submarine has been turned into a movie set.

It was used by Andrew Harmer, director of The Fitzroy, to shoot a short film a couple of years ago.

It was built in 1967 and was used to train Libyan, Cuban and Indian submariners until it was retired in 1994.

n To find out more visit www.thefitzroy.com/ks or the film’s Facebook and Twitter pages @the_fitzroy

Thursday, December 06 2012

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 21:09:22 »
Thanks for the explanation :)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 20:25:13 »
Technically speaking (and without meaning to split hairs), it's called a fin, or a sail if you're American. The conning tower is a small, pressurised compartment inside the fins of some submarines, including if I remember correctly, this one. The submarine was indeed commanded from the conning tower, with the control room being directly below it.

Russian submarines did (and still have) windows in the fin. Behind them is a shelter for the bridge crew for navigating the submarine on the surface in severe weather. The shelter floods when the submarine dives.

British submariners are apparently a hardier breed. Submarines like Ocelot have no windows, the bridge crew was expected to just put up with severe weather when on the surface. In any case, they very rarely surface whilst at sea, only coming up when entering or leaving port, or in an emergency. Post WW2 submarines like the Oberon and Porpoise classes had no conning tower inside the fin, but I think the rebuilt T class boats did. They did however have an airlock inside the fin above the control room to allow Special Forces personnel to enter and exit the boat while it was submerged.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 11:32:22 »
The windows in the conning-tower are a strange feature. Was she actually controlled from there?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 09:13:57 »
Does look rather sad now doesn't it. I wasn't sure it was still there as I couldn't see it well the last time we passed.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines