News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Russian Submarine, River Medway  (Read 62468 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Russian Submarine, River Medway
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 23:18:43 »
Looking a little sorry for itself and a definate list to stbd.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 27
  • History from above
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 23:10:45 »

Russian Sub at Chatham - taken recently.
Trikeman
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Frustrated Ferret

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:12:18 »
I think I read somewhere when this sub arrived in the UK that the then owner was going to gradualy work the sub round the UK coast therefore making it accessable to more people.

While in LA a few years ago we went and visited the Russian Sub, moored alongside the Queen Maary at Long Beach, we were advised that the majority of the sibs visiters only went cos it appeared to be a bargain when bought as a joint QM/Russian Sub ticket deal. Very few bought a sub only ticket.

Heres a link to the Scorpions site:

http://www.russiansublongbeach.com/index.html

Andy C

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:37:05 »
I can remember when this first came to Folkestone, and my disappointment that, by the time it left, I still had not had time to visit it. This a vessel of historical importance and would be great at Chatham if they could find space. I guess money is the major issue here. Could the Imperial War Museum not take an interest. If it could be moored on the Thames in Central London, say alongside or close to HMS Belfast I reckon they would be beating people off with a stick. Southend is not the most accessible of places and I think this may be the reason it failed to work at Folkestone. Particularly as the harbour area was in decline at the time.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 17:43:45 »
I asked Sheerness to give it a new home as they have two empty dry docks but they just said it wouldn't be free.  Guess they wouldn't want the general public going through the docks either cos of safety  :-\

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 23:09:33 »
Foxtrot B-39, Blackwidow U-457, was constructed in 1967 and is a relic of the Cold War.  This submarine  has a displacement of 1,950 tonnes, 1,650 tonnes without batteries,  and measures 92 metres long, 7.5 metres wide and 5.1 metres draft.  The submarine had a diving depth of 280 metres, 250 metres being it's working depth and a maximum surface speed of 16.8 knots.  The cruising range on the surface was 30,000 miles and 400 miles whilst submerged.  With a compliment of 77 crew Foxtrot B-39 spent 27 years evading NATO and training foreign submariners, with 3 diesal motors of 2,000 hp, 4 electric motors of 2,700 hp, 1,350 hp and 140 hp and 448 batteries of 650 kg the submarine was in active service with the Russian Baltic Fleet until 1st April 1994.  She travelled to London from the Naval Base at LAtvia in July 1994 under the command of Captain Vitalij Burda who had been on the crew for 23 years.  From Long's Wharf, near the Thames Barrier the Russian submarine moved to Folkestone in 1998 to become a popular visitor attraction, whilst here visitors could walk through the submarine and experience how it must have felt to be a member of it's crew.  They could view the tiny cabin rooms, the kitchen only big enough to hold one person comfortably and the battery and switch rooms where hundreds of switches were lit up like a christmas tree.  One other attraction was the torpedo, the submarine would have carried 22 torpedo's, two of which had low yield nuclear warheads.  they would have been stored with 6 and 12 forward and 4 astern.  With the torpedo on show it is hard to imagine all of these on board with hammocks for some of the crew sharing the little space.  

Although only one of four Foxtrot class submarines on display in the world she was ordered to leave Folkestone by Hoverspeed due to planned redevelopement of the harbour.  The submarine closed on 6th October 2004 and with no where else to go she was moved to the River Medway at Strood.  4 years later she is still there awaiting the offer of a home by anyone willing to house her.

I say the dry dock at Sheerness Docks  ;)

A link giving the reasons not to moor her at Herne Bay or Whitstable
http://www2.canterbury.gov.uk/committee/Data/Herne%20Bay%20Area%20Member%20Panel/20021119/Agenda/Agenda%20Enclosure%2012.pdf

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 14:23:30 »
Couple of pics from a few years ago

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409