News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Centre Bastion, Sheerness  (Read 17428 times)

Mike Reeve

Re: Centre Bastion, Sheerness
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 10:22:04 »
I showed my Dad these photos today and they brought back many memories for him. He tells me that the two guns on top of the towers in Paul's photo of centre bastion were 4.2" and he was there when they were fired for the last time. When war was declared in 1939 all guns were loaded and made safe. After a few months they were told to unload the guns prior to their being taken down, he thinks to be sent off for use by the navy. Unfortunately the shells were stuck fast due to corrosion inside the barrels as they hadn't been able to put muzzle covers on and even though they had cleaned inside the barrels every morning. If the shells wouldn't come out the breech they had to go out the other end so they were fired.

The officer in charge of removing these guns was a Major Shrive who lived in Park Rd, Sheerness at the time.

My grandfather was the Major Richard Shrive you mention. Unfortunately I do not have any photographs of the Central Bastion but would very interested if you have found his report on the removal. It was his practice (Army practice) to photograph the removal and installations to be used in his reports. He was responsible for installations and removal of many guns around Britain as well as some of the 9.2 guns on Gibraltar. (later removed to Duxford). He commanded a picket team of men nicknamed "Dickie Shrive's Gun Bucking Party" There others but this is the only one I know of.They ranged from Orkney, Glasgow area, Dundee area and Wales and possibly Lough Swilly.

Thanks for your information it was something I did not know and for the photographs that all have posted.

I am trying to prepare a more accurate record of his Army career and this has filled a gap.
Did your father know anything more about him or his work?

Major Shrive was later to move to Coronation Road, Sheerness.

Mike Reeve

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 19:41:41 »
Thank you for the extra information Swamp Kiwi  :)

Swamp Kiwi

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 18:13:54 »
I showed my Dad these photos today and they brought back many memories for him. He tells me that the two guns on top of the towers in Paul's photo of centre bastion were 4.2" and he was there when they were fired for the last time. When war was declared in 1939 all guns were loaded and made safe. After a few months they were told to unload the guns prior to their being taken down, he thinks to be sent off for use by the navy. Unfortunately the shells were stuck fast due to corrosion inside the barrels as they hadn't been able to put muzzle covers on and even though they had cleaned inside the barrels every morning. If the shells wouldn't come out the breech they had to go out the other end so they were fired.

The officer in charge of removing these guns was a Major Shrive who lived in Park Rd, Sheerness at the time.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 23:29:25 »
Some of my photos of the same area.

Almost the same photo to Kyn's.

Inside.

Looking out from inside.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 13:46:49 »
Wasn't it just the XDO and OP that were added to the Martello type things in 42?
And the rest built/upgraded at the same time..
Im not sure but i think the XDO could be 41?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 22:20:45 »
It seems the round towers were adapted in 1942, I am hoping someone who worked on them will be able to shed some light onto the extension work.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:10:43 »
Kyn.  The tower with the pointed concrete structure on the top is an XDO Post where the controlled minefield was controlled.  JohnG

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 10:02:19 »
In April 1847 these guns were reported to have been installed on No.1 Bastion:

Centre Bastion: left flank, three 8-inch guns, of 65 cwt., on traversing platforms; left shoulder, sixteen 32-pounders, of 56 cwt., on traversing platforms; right shoulder and flank, four 32-pounders, of 56 cwt., on traversing platforms total,  centre bastion, 23 guns.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 19:10:54 »
I think this is WW1 dont know if its the same camo.

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 18:16:03 »
This plan showing the defences in 1832 marks the Centre Bastion.

The most prominant feature of this bastion is the three towers, but although there is much more to see I will start with the towers.

The eastern tower was built as a gun tower in 1913, it was later adapted to a extended defence officer post and mine field control post for use in WWII.

I believe this is the same tower

Remains of the camouflage paint

Inside looking down

The central tower was constructed as an fire control tower, disguised as a house

Inside the lower floor

The upper floors are not accesable as external steps and platforms were used to access them.

The western tower was also built as a gun tower and later adapted.  This one was adapted to an observation post and it looks as though a gun emplacement still exists on its roof.

In front of the towers are some rooms and tunnels that were used to store the ammunition for the 9.2" guns that were built here.  One of the emplacements can still be seen as an outline where it has been filled in, the other I believe was demolished

The west tunnel leads to an ammunition lift

looking back

Magazine

In between the tunnel entrances are some bricked up rooms

The eastern tunnel was exactly the same as the western one but facing the opposite direction.  In this tunnel the tunnel has been blocked part way and it seems to have been converted into an engine room.

Remains of the shifting lobby

Above the tunnels is a small pillbox, this site between two emplacements of a practise battery.

Controlled Mine Field Post

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 16:27:58 »
Centre Bastion Accommodation 1940

No.1 War Shelter - 10
No.2 War shelter - 9
No.3 War shelter - 5
No.4 War shelter - 6
B.C. Post - 4

This work is not provided with a cook-house or an ablution shelter.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Centre Bastion, Sheerness
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 19:31:34 »
Plans of the towers from file WO 192/50 at the National Archives.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines