News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Behind Sheerness beach  (Read 10748 times)

John38

Re: Behind Sheerness beach
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 12:31:54 »
Oh my gosh! I've resurrected this because it is such an eye opener, remembering that I never saw the Island between 1960(ish) and 2012. The posts' therefore are both a lens on the past and onto the present (1940s/50s). Typically, Tesco's hadn't been invented back then.
The Paddling Pool had the same style paddle boats but in metal.
The bandstand was no longer attached to the Pavilion, but a separate entity,
The last show I saw in the Pavilion was, "Babes in the Woods".
There were Tennis Courts adjacent to the bowling green, and then a large pukka putting green.
The Silver Queen and the Rosemary plied their trade off those beaches, that look just as I remember them.
The 'Saint John's' hut overlooked the large grass area in which the Paddling Pool sat.
Beyond that the Fair Ground with it's 'Big Wheel' and countless rides.
The large roller skate rink, where you could hire the skates or bring your own (all year?).
You could hardly move for holidaymakers (pre foreign holidays).

On Saturday morning I would cycle down from Hawthorne Avenue, and leave my bike at my pal's house in Bell Alley. Off we would go - Wonderful place, so much to do.
In the afternoon, up St. Georges Ave. to watch Sheppey United play (Kent League).
In the evening, dancing in the Wheatsheaf (spl?) Hall, or the VC or the Conservative Club or the ......

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 11:57:02 »
Is it possible that the 'roof' on the bandstand had a canvas cover at some stage?

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:06:58 »
Excellent, Thankyou so much scoop. SB.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 49
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 23:39:39 »

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 09:03:28 »
Here is an old flyer for the Pavilion Theatre on Sheerness seafront as shown in the postcard pictures listed by conan. I like the acknowlegment that the cigarettes were supplied by Abdulla, I take it that was for stage use and not handed round to the crowds. Does anyone know the rough date of this flyer please?

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 13:21:03 »
More,More,More :)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 23:06:41 »
This one has come to light from a new set of photos.It shows a boat on the boating lake/paddling pool with a magnificent set of gallopers in the background.The tall chimney coming out of the top of the tilt points to it being still steam driven.Date and boat crew unknown,but if the lad is me then the lasses are probably my nieces.

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 00:12:31 »
Thanks Conan. The Marine Parade pictures are old, the seawall is about 3ft above the street (look at the man walking by, and the unprotected seats).  At some time it was raised considerably, I don't know when. I have a photo of me on Marine Parade late 30s as it is now.

Regarding no. 9, the pavilion (adjoining the bandstand) was used for shows.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 07:40:49 »
The Ravelin was a Gun Battery in Sheerness where Tescos carpark is now :)

More here: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=538.0

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 00:05:56 »
Thank you Chatham Girl 85 for your kind comment,as the saying goes there's plenty more yet come.

Busyglen and Paul also thanks I keep seeing references to the ravelin guns what were they?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 18:10:08 »
Some great pics :)

It is the Dockyard Church in pic 5, Also what look like the Ravelin Guns to the right?

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 16:52:09 »
Great photos Conan.  Could that tower in the distance of photo 5 be the Dockyard Church I wonder?
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 20:38:47 »
You have some really great photos in your possession...I would like to thank you for sharing them with us here :)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Behind Sheerness beach
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 20:19:22 »
As a follow up to my post about Sheerness beach here are a few more pictures taken of the pleasure grounds behind the esplanade plus a couple of early shots of Marine Parade.All these as usual come from dads archive.

1 The roof of the bandstand appears to solid in this picture   compare it with next two photos where it seems to be of a skeletal construction.

2 The band going well on a sunny day.Deckchairs to be hired from Sheerness Urban District Council.The right hand side of the pavilion seems to be different to that in the previous picture.

3 A busy day at the bandstand with the band in full swing.There's what looks like a paddle steamer in the background.Another sunny day,note the parasols up in various parts of the audience.

4 Bowties ordinary ties wing collars and hats for all.

5 An early shot of the bandstand before the pavilion was built.It looks most unloved and disused in a very tatty state.Lots of belching chimneys in the background and a very tall tower in the centre background.I'm wondering if this was taken during the Great War.Looking closely at the shape of the bandstand roof it appears to be a different shape to that shown in pictures 1and 2 and I wonder if this is a different stand.

6 Three shots of Marine Parade.I love the way the benches are built out on a sort of wooden scaffold over the edge of the esplanade.

8 You can see the flood plank grooves in this shot.I remember they were still in use at least up to the 60s.

9 An odd one to finish with.It looks to have been taken in the small pavilion on the far left of picture 3.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines