News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Regent, Deal  (Read 9083 times)

Offline amylouisewalker16

• Appreciation 0
Re: The Regent, Deal
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 08:13:23 »
Hi,

Found this info on cinema treasures website: The Pavilion Theatre opened on the sea-front of Deal on 28th July 1928. It was built for and operated by Deal Council. Bookings for decent live shows soon proved difficult to maintain, so the building was converted into a cinema, to the plans of Margate architect P.V. Levett. He turned the interior around 25 degrees, so the stage end was now on the west side of the building, rather than the original southern end. This gave better sightlines for the screening of films. A cafe was provided in a room to the left of the entrance doors and a new projection box and offices were built in a first floor extension over the front of the building. The cinema was given a new name Regent Cinema on its opening on 13th July 1933 with the film "King of the Ritz" starring Stanley Lupino.

The Regent Cinema was closed by the Bloom Circuit on 13th July 1963, when they transfered the bingo operation across from their Royal Cinema building (the Royal Cinema then re-opened for film use). A false ceiling was inserted inside the Regent Cinema auditorium, hiding the original plaster ceiling, but it could still be viewed by peering through the portholes in the disused (and off-limts) projection box.

The bingo club at the Regent Cinema building was closed on 9th January 2009, a victim of the Government’s ban on smoking in public places. There was talk in April 2010 to convert the building into a twin screen cinema, each with 140 seats, with the remainder of the building used as a community centre or even possible use as a multi-purpose performing arts centre. It is owned by Dover District Council.

In June 2010, two businessmen purchased the building, and in June 2013, plans were announced to convert it into a 3-screen cinema, which was planned to open in late-2014

Hope it helps.

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 10:47:32 »
Found a picture of my mum in 1950 outside the Regent before watching the film "Bitter Rice"

From Wikki Bitter Rice (Italian: Riso Amaro), is a 1949 Italian film made by Lux Film, written and directed by Giuseppe De Santis.

Metiri est cognoscere

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 13:41:53 »
No, no cinemas at all. Flicks tried to make a go of it but couldn't.
The building is the original Odeon building, built on the site of Admiralty House, a Georgian house occupied by the Hulke family of Surgeons.

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:23 »
I'm pretty sure thats the case Manokent1
Metiri est cognoscere

Manofkent1

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:59 »
I'm sorry to hear that the cinema has closed. I had happy times there. Does this leave Deal without any cinema at all? 

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 06:12:19 »
Hi Bryn Clinch, the Odeon was what was the now closed Flicks in Queen street Deal http://cinematreasures.org/theater/15022/

Andy
Metiri est cognoscere

Manofkent1

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 23:04:20 »
The 'Regent' was also known, in my time('40's/'50's/'60's), as 'The Fleapit'.  It didn't put on particularly interesting programmes and it was extremely draughty and chilly! I preferred the 'Odeon' in Queens Street.
The latter had a well raked auditorium, good programming and was warm, if a bit smokey with all those fags!
I was taken by my parents there for the first time at the age of 5 to see, for some extraordinary reason best known to them, 'Wake Island', an American war film in the best tradition of gung-ho heroism. I have only impressions of planes cheerfully taking off but then landing in some distress - or not landing at all.
When I returned to Deal in the late '50's, I went to the 'Odeon' every week.  It had a useful, undercover and fairly secure bike/scooter shed to the side.
In the late 1960's, my late younger brother, Anthony, got his first break into the entertainment world when, as a 'cub' reporter on the 'East Kent Mercury', he was given the task of film reviewer for the paper, mainly attending the 'Odeon' showings.  He later went on to set up a casting agency in N London.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 22:39:57 »
Where was/is the Odeon in Deal?

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 21:57:51 »
A little little more information about its change from a theatre to a Cinema from http://cinematreasures.org/theater/32928/

"The Pavilion Theatre opened on the sea-front of Deal on 28th July 1928. It was built for and operated by Deal Council. Bookings for decent live shows soon proved difficult to maintain, so the building was converted into a cinema, to the plans of Margate architect P.V. Levett. He turned the interior around 25 degrees, so the stage end was now on the west side of the building, rather than the original southern end. This gave better sightlines for the screening of films. A cafe was provided in a room to the left of the entrance doors and a new projection box and offices were built in a first floor extension over the front of the building. The cinema was given a new name Regent Cinema on its opening on 13th July 1933 with the film "King of the Ritz" starring Stanley Lupino."
Metiri est cognoscere

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 21:33:22 »
Found this from East Kent Mercury March 2010 suggesting it was to be turned back into a cinema. I however cannot find any planning applications to Dover district Council or any more up to date info.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/east_kent_mercury/news/2010/march/17/new_pag.aspx

Andy
Metiri est cognoscere

Offline Glen

• Appreciation 6
    • Kent Today & Yesterday
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 17:55:07 »
@Andyb - thanks for the excellent information.

My Nan once told me that when King Kong first came out people were actually fainting in the cinema they were so scared!  :) All looks a bit tame nowadays with CGI.

Wonder what will happen to the place now?

Glen

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 20:44:36 »
Taken From “Picture Palaces remembered” by John Roy & Tony Thompson. Glenton Publications ISBN 0 9512825 0 6

In 1928 the Lord Warden of the Cinque ports, Lord Beauchamp officially opened the Pavilion Theatre on Deal’s seafront.  Deal council was not commercially successful in running it and in 1933 it was leased to two local business men, Jack Boyer & Harry Carey. With the help of architect Percy Levett, In six weeks and costing £7000 it was transformed into the Regent Cinema. The Regent Cinema opened for business on 9th June 1933 with a seating capacity of 911. Until the Odeon was built three years later it was the largest cinema in Deal.
Despite being next to the sea, business continued as normal throughout the war, apart from days when the enemy made it impossible to continue.
During the war a powerful searchlight was placed on the roof with the power being supplied by a Lister generator installed by the time ball tower.
The most popular of the early films when Billy Grant was the chief operator 1933 -1946 was King Kong.
In the mid- forties the regent was taken over by ASER Cinema’s but as attendance’s fell in the 1950’s
And despite an injection of X rated films the Regent Cinema closed in 1963 and later became a bingo hall.

Below is a 12953 advert for the x rated film Deadly Sins

Metiri est cognoscere

Offline Glen

• Appreciation 6
    • Kent Today & Yesterday
The Regent, Deal
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 22:27:39 »

I was in Deal the other day and took this pic of the Regent on the seafront looking a bit sorry for itself.

Can anyone tell me more about this building? When was it built? Was it a cinema/theatre? How long has it been closed? Any information is welcome.

Thanks.

Glen

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines