News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Firing up the Sea  (Read 9173 times)

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
Re: Firing up the Sea
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 10:28:59 »
Back in the 1970s I worked with men who had been in the local  Kent Territorial Royal Engineers.They had been over in France destroying oil stocks. When they got back they were sent on local beach defences. One told me how they drilled small holes in the hand rails on the sea front and connected them to pump fuel which would be lit by flares.
They also tried drums partially filled with fuel so they still floated and then ignited by a fuse from the shore.
mmitch.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 21:27:31 »
There was even a story about a German Commando raid that got cooked by one in Suffolk i think,But it was never proved.

It was a rumour put about by the dastardly British!
A 'sib', from the Latin sibillare - to whisper, was a rumour propagated by the Underground Propaganda Committe of the Propaganda Branch of the Special Operations Executive, its aim being to undermine German morale. The sibs were passed on by British agents in neutral ports and capitals, unwitting neutral journalists, etc, in the hope that they would be picked up by the Germans.

On the other hand, a short sib put out at about the same time became one of the most successful of the whole war: 'The English have invented a method of setting the sea on fire.' It was disseminated using several channels and soon there were eyewitness reports of charred bodies, the casualties of an unsuccessful invasion. According to Wehrmacht barrack-room gossip, hospitals equipped to deal with burns were being set up all along the Channel coast. What is more, the German navy started to test fireproofed invasion craft and asbestos suits for their crews. The story stuck. As late as Christmas 1944 (I was working then for the gardener in the Rheinland) I heard from a young Waffen-SS man that, according to a veteran in his unit, a trial Operation Seelöwe (invasion of Britain) was repulsed by the dastardly Brits who had set the Channel on fire.
    From Black Propaganda in the Second World War by Stanley Newcourt-Nowodworski: page 112.

Also. Dead Nazis at Shingle Street? 'Still bunkum'.
http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/dead-nazis-at-shingle-street-still-bunkum-1-4400113

Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

jonesnet57

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 20:29:53 »
I can remember when I was very young going on the beach at Deal and towards Sandwich Bay seeing rusting pipes and was told by my nan they were sea defences, for pumping oil and setting fire to it for any invasion.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 22:03:27 »
I saw a TV prog on this and it said that the RAF dropped leaflets on the waiting invasion force.
The leaflet had translations from German to English one of them was "Im burning help me"
also "Our boat is alight",And others.
Did anyone else see it?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

seafordpete

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 13:44:54 »
IIRC they were  a visual detterent rather than a physical one, trials proved that most craft could sail through the flames undamaged. The strange thing is the date of installations, most were 1942 and later when the real invasion threat had gone

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 13:19:05 »
Thats most likely what it was.
The Canadians must have been when they were testing one somwhere.

seafordpete

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 13:06:38 »
Hi Paul, not heard about Canadians and I haven't read the websites on Shingle St for a couple of years. The reason for covering up at the time is obvious and I think that to then admit it happened would be too humiliating for our illustrious governments as so much was made of the untouchable island fortress concept.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 12:50:20 »
i saw a tv programme on it a few years ago they think it was raid on Bawdsey radar that went wrong.
I cant remember why they wanted to keep it quiet ???
Didnt some Canadians get killed?

seafordpete

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 12:18:32 »
That's Shingle Street, not far from Bardsey Manor which was the Radar R&D . If you google "shingle Street" it is a very convincing story. A guy has spent years trying to prove it, press won't touch the story after initial enthusiasm and he claims they ( and he) are warned offf by "the men in black"  P

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 12:07:57 »

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 11:44:59 »
That site gives the petrolium warefare sea defences.
I know there were a lot in Norfolk,Suffolk.and the south coast.
There was even a story about a German Commando raid that got cooked by one in Suffolk i think,But it was never proved.

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:32:39 »
That's  a different beast-the Home Guard   Fougasse, they dug one out at Kingston nr Lewes about 5 tears ago road widening. The Airfield ones shot a wide jet of flame several hundred feet up, must have been impressive. P

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 11:28:39 »
I dont know there was may have been the fireball type ones in hedges or in ditches etc.
This site gives locations,
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/

seafordpete

Firing up the Sea
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:01:47 »
Hi, just found an installation locally (Bishopstone)  that was to pump fuel onto the sea & beaches in the event of invasion. Couple of small buildings and the tanks were about a mile behind. In addition there was a swinging fireboom at the narrows in Newhaven Harbour until it was hit by a landing craft and never reinstated. The tanks for this were in the dry moat of the Fort. Was anything similar on the Island? THere is an excellent book called Flames over Britain, written c 1948 about the work of the petroleum warfare dept. All manner of wonders eg huge fireball projectors to protect airfields and installations. I got a copy from E Sx library, no doubt KCC may have one or could get it on loan. P

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines