News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wingham Parish - 1847  (Read 3869 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Wingham Parish - 1847
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:21:35 »
WINGHAM PARISH, is an extensive parish and village, pleasantly situated on the high road from Canterbury to Deal, 6 miles E. by S. from the former.  The parish contains 2,647 acres of land, mostly a fertile chalky soil.  In 1841, there were 246 houses; and a population of 1,129 souls; population in 1801, 844; in 1831, 1,115; rateable value, £7,300, Sir Henry Oxenden, Bart., is lord of the manor, besides whom Earl Cooper, John Pemberton Plumptre, Esq. M.P., Sir Brooke W. Bridges, Bart., John Dadds, Esq., and the Marchioness of Conyngham are the principal land owners.

THE CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, is a handsome fabric, with nave, side aisles, and three chancels; the whole has an elegant appearance, and the windows were formerly richly ornamented with stained glass.  The living is a perpetual curacy, rated at £114; in the patronage of the impropriators and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Sim.  The church contains many beautiful monuments.  In the south chancel is a costly monument to the Ixendens, erected in 1682, having at the corners four large black oxens heads, in allusion to their name and arms.  In the high chancel is a tomb, on which are two marble figures incased in chain mail for the Palmers, dated 1627.  On the pavement are several stones for the provosts and religious of the college, which have been robbed of their brasses.  At the time of the Reformation, this church was partly collegiate and partly parochial.  The high chancel is separated from the rest of the church by a partition  wall, and in it are seven stalls on each side for the use of the religious, to perform their choir service in.  The two aisles of the church were for the parishioners, who from thence could hear the choir service, and in the north aisle was a rood, where one of the vicars went up and read the gospel to the people.  The tithes are commuted for £1,385.  The Marchioness of Conyngham, Sir Brook W. Bridges, Bart., George Sayer, Esq., and Fulke Greville, Esq., are the impropriators.  Archbishop Kilwarby intended to found a college in the church, but resigning  his Archbishopric, before he could put the design, into practice.  Archbishop Peckham, in the year 1286, carried the design into execution, and founded a COLLEGE, in the church for a provost and six secular canons, the prebends of which he distinguished by the several names from whence their revenues arose, vis., Chilton, Pedding, Twytham, Bonnington, Ratling, and Wimlingswold.  The Provosts Lodge, which was the parsonage, was situated adjoining the churchyard, and the houses of the canons opposite to it.  These latter houses, with their appurtenances, are esteemed to be within the liberty of the town and port of Hastings, and jurisdiction of the Cinque Ports.  At the suppression of the College, in the 1st of Edward VI, the revenue was valued at £208.14s.3 ½d.  Edward Cranmer, the last master, had a pension of £20 per annum. 

The INDEPENDENTS, have a neat chapel in the village, erected in 1839, by the late Samuel Elgar Toomer, Esq. at a cost of £1,000.

The NATIONAL SCHOOL, is a commodious building, which will accommodate 130 children.  There is also, and Infant School, a wood building, which is numerously attended.  Both the schools are supported by voluntary contributions.

FAIRS, for cattle, are held on May 12th, and November 12th.

WINGHAM WELL, is a hamlet ½ a mile S.W. from Wingham, and is noted for its well of pure water, from which the village is supplied.

TWITHAM, a hamlet adjoining Goodnestone, 1 mile E. from Wingham, to the north of which is BROOK, an ancient estate, formerly the property of the Wendertons  In 1710 a stone coffin was found in the Court Lodge Farm, by the plough striking against it.

CHARITIES – Sir James Oxenden, Bart., about the year 1686, founded and endowed a school in this parish, with £16 per annum, for teaching 20 poor children, the above sum is now paid by the steward of Sir Henry Oxenden, Bart.

John Rushbeecher, by will 1663, devised to trustees for the use of the poor a piece of land, containing about five acres.  Up to the year 1801, these premises were in the occupation of William Greenstreet, who paid £4 per annum to overseers and churchwardens for the benefit of the poor.  The land subsequently came into the possession of the late Edward Slaughter, but how he obtained possession does not appear; no rent has been paid since 1801.  In 1835, the case was certified to the Attorney General, praying that the charity might be established.

Richard Oxenden, in 1741, gave £4 per annum to the minister of the parish for a sermon every Wednesday during Lent, and on Good Friday, and 20s. per annum to be distributed to eight poor persons who should be at divine service on Easter day.

John Church, in 1604, gave £10 to the use of t he poor, which it is stated had been put out to interest, but was afterwards paid into the hands of the overseers, who for some time distributed 10s as the interest thereof .

POST OFFICE – John Beal, Postmaster, letters arrive at 30 min. past 5.am, and are despatched at 30 mins. past 8.pm.

Those marked 1, reside at Crockshared; 2, Dambridge; 3, Dene; 4, Hartsdelight; 5, Trapham; 6, Twithham; 7, Walstone House; 8, Wenderton; 9 Wingham Well; 10, Witherden Hall.

Beal, John, Inspector of weights and measures for Wingham district.
Bamford, Wm. Stationer & paper hanger.
Cart, Henry, hair dresser
Chandler, Thos. Parish clerk, and registrar of births, and deaths, and agent to Phoenix Fire Office.
Dadds, John, Esq.,
9, Deverson, Daniel, Market Gardener.
1, Elgar, James, Surveyor.
Elgar, John, Gent. Wingham Court.
Elgar John, Market Gardener, Wingham Wells.
Elgar, Mrs. Maria, Wingham House
Fostall, John, Saddler & Harness Maker
Hawke, Mrs Ann
Jeffery, Jas. Watch and Clock Maker
Kemp, Thos. Gentleman
Larkin, Wm. Linen Manufacturer
Lawson, Robt. Flour Dealer
Molson, Miss Ann
Sweetlove, John, Millwright.
Sweetlove, Robt. Gentleman

INNS & TAVERNS
Anchor, Hart Sandcroft
Dog, Henry Moon
Red Lion, Harriet White

ACADEMIES
Miles, Susannah
National, Ann Hudson
Infant, My Ann Swiddy

BEER HOUSES
Phillips, Henry
9, Tucker, Edmund

BAKERS
Hills, John & Howard Fdk, Confectioner
Weake, John

BLACKSMITHS
9 Butler, Wm.
Drury G. & Ironmonger.
Sweetlove, John

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Cornwell, Thos. Wm.
Hooker, Henry
Johnson, Thos.
Manger, Thos.
Newington, Geo. C.

BRICKLAYERS & PLASTERERS
Chard, Wm.
Crothall, John
Pettitt, John

BUTCHERS
Pettitt, John
Pryor, John

CARPENTERS & BUILDERS
Macrow, John
9, Pett, Michael
Seath, John
Sweetlove, John

COOPERS
Harris, Clement
Milles, Leonard

FARMERS
1, Elgar, James
2, Elgar, Wm.
10, Harris, Geo.
4, Holness, Robt.
9, Laslett, Leonard
3, Laslett, Rd.
Matson, Rd.
6, Mepsted, Edw.
8, Minter, Wm,
Nicholas, Stephen Brook
5, Rymer, Edw.
6, Ringden, John M.
7, Turner, Thos.

GROCERS & TEA DEALERS
Beal, Ellen, H.
Howard, Frederick
Skey, Wm. R.

LINEN DRAPERS
Coleman, John & Hatter
Payn, Wm.
Skey, Wm. R

PLUMBERS & GLAZIERS
Bramford, Wm.
Hudson, Hy. And Son
Stark, Francis

SHOPKEEPERS
Allsworth, Wm.
Smith, Thos.

STRAW HAT MAKERS
Hyder, Eliza
Payn, Elizabeth

SURGEONS
Archer, J.S. Green
Sankey, Fredk. Harney

TAYLORS
Allsworth, Wm.
Denne, John & Geo.

From Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Kent 1847.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines