News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dunkirk Ville - 1847  (Read 3305 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Dunkirk Ville - 1847
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 18:57:17 »
DUNKIRK  VILLE, is an extra parochial liberty 4 Ĺ miles W. by No. from Canterbury, forming a district of scattered houses and farms, and contains 5,400 acres of land, mostly covered with wood; in 1841 here were 152 houses, and a population of 638 souls.  The principal land owners are the Archbishop, and Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, Lord Sondes, George Gipps, Esq., Lady Bridges, Giles Hilton, Esq. St. Johnís College Cambridge, W.O. Hammond, Esq. W.C. Dering, Esq. and others.

THE CHURCH, dedicated to our Saviour, was opened for Divine Service in 1841, it is a neat fabric of flint, with stone Quoins, in the Grecian style, with nave, chancel, a short tower and a clock, and was built at a cost of £1,800 raised by subscriptions, and a grant.  The living is in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and enjoyed by the Rev. John William Horsley, for whom a neat parsonage has been erected on the south side of the church. 

A NATIONAL SCHOOL, and residence for the teacher has been built a little north of the church, which will accommodate 70 children.  There is a small brick chapel which is also used as a school-room at Lamberts Land, situated at the north extremity of the liberty. 

The Bossenden woods in this liberty was the place where the eccentric Thomas alias Sir William Courtney, and his deluded followers ended their career in 1838.  (See Canterbury).  Previous to which there was neither church nor school in the liberty, although a considerable portion of the property belongs to Ecclesiastical dignitaries.

This Liberty, anciently a part of the extensive FOREST OF BLEAN, contains nearly 5000 acres of woody land.  It extends from the bottom of Boughton Hill, in length eastward as far as Harbledown turnpike on the London road, and across from Whitstable and Seasalter parishes, southward as far as that of Chartham, about four miles, besides the large wood of Thornden, which lies detached from the north east corner of it.  This forest, anciently very extensive, was similar to other forest waste ground which belonged to the crown, and under the royal protection for their pleasure and recreation.  In the reign of Henry VI, there were wild boars, which were hunted in these woods.  But before the Norman conquest, as well as afterwards, the several kings made grants at different times of large tracts of lands within it, especially to the neighbouring religious houses, till at length almost the whole of it was separated from the crown, by which means it lost all privileges of a forest, and even the name, and acquired that of the Blean.  From the elevated ground at Boughton Hill, a most delightful and extensive prospect is seen, and it is worthy observation, that from this place the distance is the same to any many of the most important towns in Kent; it is 20 miles from Maidstone, Chatham, Sheerness, Margate, Ramsgate, Sandwich, Deal, Dover, Hythe, and Folkestone.

Baker, Fredk. Schoolmaster (National)
Berry, Mr. Thomas
Culver, Wm. Farmer
Goodwin, Henry, Farmer, Ellenden
Horsley, Rev. John Wm. Parsonage
Jarvis, Henry, Farmer, Lambertís Land
Morgan, A. Schoolmistress, Lambertís Land
Pay, Elias, Victualler, Woodmans Hall
Saddleton, John, Farmer
Theobald, Thos, Victualler, Lion
Waters, Geo. Blacksmith
Wildish, Mar, Victualler, Gate.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines