News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fire at the Bridgewood Cottage pub, Chatham. 1980s?  (Read 8657 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Re: Fire at the Bridgewood Cottage pub, Chatham. 1980s?
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 21:49:04 »
A little snippet of history from the South Eastern Gazette:

Offline Bbholdie

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 18:46:23 »

I posted this on another forum about the M2. When I saw this picture it did bring back memories of there being a pub being by the motorway junction. Is the Bridgewood Cottage in this picture?

(Image removed from quote.)

That's a fantastic Photo, I have these, taken by a family friend, from his aeroplane, Not sure of the year, but in anyone knows when the houses at Toddington Crescent were being constructed, that should give a pretty good Idea.

And the M2, Looks like absolute Chaos :)

The second Photo clearly shows the Bridgewood Cottage Pub, and the Bridgewood House midway up on the Left hand side. 

The Last photo shows part of the M2, Hallsfield Road, and the Walderslade Valley, as it was before the Walderslade Woods Road was put through, My playground as a kid !

Offline Bbholdie

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 18:01:08 »
(Image removed from quote.)
I do remember the pub very well, it was one of the more eccentric ones in Chatham. In my recollection there were bus seats in the public bar and coach seats in the saloon. It was run by a woman, who, as I recall, had the place until it closed. As is usually the case, once the pub closed there was a convenient fire which rendered the proporty unsafe. How many pubs has that happened to?

The Landlord of the Bridgewood Cottage was a chap called Roy Gibbons, the lady you refer to was Anne, Roy's Fiancee, since about 1950, they never married. After the pub's renovation in the late 70's, there was only one bus seat :), and that was next to the dart board. No point in having decent furniture so close to very sharp objects being thrown around I suppose.

You may remember the Lady (Anne) from this Photograph.

I visited this pub a few times, and remember Anne well. The chap with his back to the bar is Ralph Lewis.
This is my photograph of him, taken on January 30th, 1981, when he was 76 years old:
[img][img]

Hi Redmond, May I ask if you are the same (Redmond) that was friends with a couple called Harry and Jackie, who lived in Hallsfield Road in the early 80's ?

And yes, that's is Ralph Lewis alright, I have very fond memories of playing darts on a Friday Night. :)

Offline Redmond

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 11:19:57 »
I do remember the pub very well, it was one of the more eccentric ones in Chatham. In my recollection there were bus seats in the public bar and coach seats in the saloon. It was run by a woman, who, as I recall, had the place until it closed. As is usually the case, once the pub closed there was a convenient fire which rendered the proporty unsafe. How many pubs has that happened to?

The Landlord of the Bridgewood Cottage was a chap called Roy Gibbons, the lady you refer to was Anne, Roy's Fiancee, since about 1950, they never married. After the pub's renovation in the late 70's, there was only one bus seat :), and that was next to the dart board. No point in having decent furniture so close to very sharp objects being thrown around I suppose.

I visited this pub a few times, and remember Anne well. The chap with his back to the bar is Ralph Lewis.
This is my photograph of him, taken on January 30th, 1981, when he was 76 years old:
[img][img]

Offline Bbholdie

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 15:25:10 »
Not much wrong with your memory perhaps Bbholdie. The house was listed as "Bridgewood House" , it was quite large with eight rooms and in 1911 occupied by a William Barling, fruit grower. So perhaps this is the family you were thinking of?

Ahha, You are absolutely right, Barling not Barlow, close though :)

I don't know if I have any pictures of Jack Barling, will have to have a sort through, He was a typical Farmer type though, rosy cheeks, wellies, tweed jacket and cap, and could often be found propping the bar up in the Bridgewood Pub.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 09:46:46 »
Not much wrong with your memory perhaps Bbholdie. The house was listed as "Bridgewood House" , it was quite large with eight rooms and in 1911 occupied by a William Barling, fruit grower. So perhaps this is the family you were thinking of?

Offline Bbholdie

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 00:05:01 »
Thanks Bbholdie.
In 1911 "Bridgewood Cottage" was occupied by George Elcombe, wife and daughter. He is described as a Beer Retailer and was born in Mereworth.

Bridgewood at this time (perhaps still is) was in the parish of Burham.

Thanks mikeb, It would be interesting to see how the pub changed hands over the years, perhaps I'll have to make that my next mission :)

It may also be worth noting, that the house next to the pub, I believe was called The Bridgewood Manor, but don't quote me on that, it was a long time ago, and the memory is not quite what it used to be, it was owned by a chap called Jack Barlow, a Farmer and possibly land owner, I seem to recall one of the fields behind the crematorium and leading onto Mill Lane / Warren Road, being known as Barlows Fields.

Getting back to the House, I'm sure the name of the house was carved above the door, and only now I wish I had taken more photographs before everything was destroyed, Hindsight is a wonderful thing !

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 22:23:33 »
Thanks Bbholdie.
In 1911 "Bridgewood Cottage" was occupied by George Elcombe, wife and daughter. He is described as a Beer Retailer and was born in Mereworth.

Bridgewood at this time was in the parish of Burham (perhaps still is). 

Offline Bbholdie

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 21:29:35 »
I have found this topic very interesting as in 1891 a relative of mine, Stephen James or John Jarrett, is shown as a Beer Retailer in the Bridgewood Beer House. Is this the same house as the Bridgewood Cottage ?

If it is, then Bbholdie, may I download your photo and add it to my family tree on Ancestry please?

That is very interesting indeed, I have always been interested in the History of the Pub, and know, or at least pretty sure that Roy Gibbons took over the pub from his Father, but as to what year that was have no idea, I think I did look to see if I could find the pub on the 1911 Census, but think I drew a blank, otherwise I would have some more information.

You are welcome to use any photos you wish.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 17:09:32 »
This map from around 1900 shows the Bridgewood Cottage Beer House is indeed the same place.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 12:51:47 »
I have found this topic very interesting as in 1891 a relative of mine, Stephen James or John Jarrett, is shown as a Beer Retailer in the Bridgewood Beer House. Is this the same house as the Bridgewood Cottage ?

If it is, then Bbholdie, may I download your photo and add it to my family tree on Ancestry please?

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 09:53:02 »
Coming down from crematorium to motorway roundabouts the pub was in the road on the left

Offline Bbholdie

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 00:43:13 »
A few more pictures of the Bridgewood Pub, Coronation Car Sales / Petrol Station and surrounding area before it was all bulldozed, and also possibly the smallest Chapel in England !

Offline Bbholdie

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 14:48:24 »

Offline Bbholdie

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 14:34:47 »
Can anyone out there verify a childhood memory for me please? I remember my dad getting petrol from a garage just along the road from the Bridgewood Cottage pub (up near Blue Bell Hill) and I have vague memories of looking out the car window at a boarded up pub (the Bridgewood Cottage), which looked like it had had a fire. It was later demolished for the road improvements(?)

I would date this memory to around 1980ish.

Can anyone verify that there was a fire at the pub, and when that was? I've searched online, but with no luck.

Was that the reason it originally closed?

Thanks

The Bridgewood Pub finally closed in June / July of 1989, and I believe the fire was started by Squatters. The Petrol Station you remember was directly opposite the Pub, and also had a Café, and Coronation Car Sales. This picture was taken around 1980 / 81 during the first phase of the road works. The pub itself was finally demolished around 2000.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines