News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Maidstone - please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6426 times)

davidt

Re: Maidstone - please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 17:52:01 »
Chatham's Woolworths and Burtons were purpose built to standard designs as well.

I always used to try to catch people out by asking where you could see elephants in Chatham. The answer was in the decoration in the upstairs part of Burtons (now Halifax I think). You used to get a good view of them from the top deck of a bus on the old (now demolished) flyover!

Barrowboy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 16:58:22 »
Several chain shops were purpose built to a fairly standard "house" style. Another example being Burtons the tailors. These were always built with either a ballroom or snooker hall above.

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:32:05 »
Pretty much a standard Woolworths design,

jpdeejay

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 22:29:43 »
Cheers mate,

This is fantastic, we must have a chat about this!!!

Interesting!!

JP

Andyb

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 21:56:30 »
Hi Jpdeejay, taken from http://www.maidstone.gov.uk/pdf/Maidstone%20Centre%20CAA%20Approved%20Doc%20PDF.pdf it appears it was purpose built for F W Woolworth in 1936, after their first home in No's 13-15 Week street 1920 -1936.

No 15 Week Street Maidstone
Probably early 19th Century.  3 storeys with parapet.  Stuccoed front grooved in imitation of stone.  Small-paned modern window set in moulded architraves extending through 2 storeys may be part of alterations carried out for F.W. Woolworth and Co. in 1924 (No's 13 and 15 formed the first premises in Maidstone for Woolworths between the 1920s and 1936).  Plain projecting band below parapet may be remains of a moulded cornice. Tiled roof behind parapet.

No 52 56 Week Street Maidstone
Built 1936 for F.W. Woolworth and Co.  A very large scale building in Art Deco style with a front elevation of large white faience blocks with large projecting vertical fins separating tall thin windows to upper floor.  An interesting period piece, if a little out of scale.

Andy

Andyb

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 20:22:04 »

Woolworth's Maidstone was on of the first to close in the country on Saturday 27th December 2008 and sadly here it is in 2009

jpdeejay

Maidstone - please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 20:03:54 »
Can any of you please help me......

What was Woolworths in Maidstone before it was a Woolies???

Since the closure of Woolworths the shop area has been split into two units, one being Poundland, the other being a German shoe shop (I think) I have recently taken a photo of what is above the shop front - this really looks like an old cinema frontage, I may be wrong??

Being only 35 myself I can only remember this being a Woolworths, I have spoken to my Mother in law who moved to the area in the late 70's, she can also only remember this being a Woolies......

I do have a photo to upload but am unsure how to upload - maybe I am being a little dim here????

Can any of you help????

JP

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines