News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sittingbourne ROC post  (Read 6956 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Sittingbourne ROC post
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 19:42:06 »
I wondered if the concrete was related to it, I realised after visiting that it was the wrong spot :)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 18:36:25 »
Kyn , :)That looks like the copse and old rubbish dump, where the remains of the old barn were,.
    The ROC post was about 20yrds further South and set back about 15 to 20 yards from the road. I don't think there is any of the top left visible, it was smashed to below ground level and pushed down the shaft. I was turned down when i tried to buy it as it had to removed and the land reinstated to Grove End Farm. as it was before it was requisitioned.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 21:52:09 »
LewisE and I had a look for the remains of this post tonight.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 22:20:21 »
I think I tried to buy it about 1993 give or take a couple of years.It was filled in and levelled over shortly afterwards .

darrenh

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:40:30 »
interesting thanks !  that used to be one of the favourite tracks for bike rides when i was younger, we used to cut accross to tunstall road, through the farm, then up to eden park nurseries for a can of top deck!  i remember the "mystery bunker" even in my life time.  i'm sure it was still there when i worked at shell research in the early 90's

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:52:33 »
Hi darrenh  :)
                 Yes, the site was on Grove End Farm land, on your right  just past where the the old barn was at the top end of Ruins Barn Road approaching the left turn which leads to the Kent Science Park (which was Shell Research back in those days.)
 The site is completely erradicated now and absorbed back into the agricultral landscape as it was before it was dug out.

seafordpete

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 08:14:39 »
From Sub Brit
Post Name RODMERSHAM GREEN
OS Grid Reference TQ89886132
Location By footpath on the West side of Ruins Barn Road
Description DEMOLISHED Newly disturbed ground and rubble suggests recent demolition. Telegraph pole lies on its side at the site.

darrenh

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 20:24:22 »
Apologies for bumping this old thread, but was the site nearer Broad Oak Road than Woodstock Road?  On the right side of the road if driving towards the M2 and a short distance after the last houses ?

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 14:11:45 »
Nick Catford at Sub Brit was involved with listing all the ROC sites for the MOD prior to disposal. Pictures & info on http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/db/988289358.040003.html     Entered as Rodmersham Green..  Several sites were on loan with clauses built in that the land was given back to the owner and "made good" if required.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 13:49:38 »
I tried to buy it way back when they decided to close them all up and started selling some sites off. I was informed by the Department dealing with them at the time . The Sittingbourne ROC Post No ??? Funnily enough entitled Rodmersham Green Post.(Fiendish plot to fool the Ruskies about the location, no doubt) could not be sold, but had to be demolished and the land reinstated, as it was only leased under requisitioning rules from the cold war days when they were all built.
    I went down it one evening when I was on leave from the  RAF about 1965/6 ish when the ROC were doing their thing, training once a week in the evenings. Wish I had kept the letter, it would be interesting history now. :)

exopper

Sittingbourne ROC post
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:24:37 »
In the late 1950s, Sittingbourne's ROC Post was built by the roadside between Ruins Barn Road and Woodstock, just south of "the dump". As a small boy I remember being very curious about these men digging the hole and running cable in a trench dug along the road. Nobody I knew could tell me what it was or for, or maybe they knew but decided I was a security risk.

After some years away, walking past where I recalled this mysterious bunker to be, Lo! it was gone, the site so carefully razed it stood out from its surrounding field. How many of the 1562 built remain?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines