News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: " The Brook" Chatham (Stream)  (Read 35620 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
Re: " The Brook" Chatham (Stream)
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 19:06:18 »
... the construction of a tunnel from Chatham Police Station to the then new Magistrates Court next door had to be abandoned because the builders were constantly fighting a losing battle against flooding in the tunnel.

I assure you that the tunnel was completed, as I have been through it. I won't tell you why  :)

I stand (or sit) corrected!
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline skipraider

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 15:54:46 »
... the construction of a tunnel from Chatham Police Station to the then new Magistrates Court next door had to be abandoned because the builders were constantly fighting a losing battle against flooding in the tunnel.

I assure you that the tunnel was completed, as I have been through it. I won't tell you why  :)

Rochester-bred

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 15:53:11 »
They actually built over the brook leaving the stream underneath but flooding did continue for some time.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 14:14:25 »
Sometimes The Brook was a brook this photo was taken pre 1910 as the Rob Roy pub closed in 1909
  photo from Past and Present Pubs Chatham.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2014, 19:10:03 »
In the late 1970's/early 1980's my dad worked for the Department of the Environment, which at the time was responsible for the maintenance and construction of all Government-owned buildings, including in Medway, the likes of Crown House in Chatham (now the Jobcentre), Rochester and Upnor Castles and all the buildings in the Dockyard, HMS Pembroke and the various Army barracks in the area. He told me a tale of how the construction of a tunnel from Chatham Police Station to the then new Magistrates Court next door had to be abandoned because the builders were constantly fighting a losing battle against flooding in the tunnel.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

James P

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2014, 16:33:13 »
Available literature suggests that the stream disappeared many years before the activities of Richard Bachelor and the Royal Engineers in their quest for a water supply. Perhaps the growth of Luton and the digging of numerous wells had already played their part in its demise.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 06:42:28 »
I have noticed that in Kent we have a number of rivers that are wet for some parts of the year and then dry up or only rise to the surface every seven years (a legend in the Canterbury area) or are wet in their lower reaches only like the Little Stour (which is one of the many 'Nail Bourne's in the area along its upper reaches) which is wet from Littlebourne to Stourmouth. Could this river/stream have been the same with no discernable course above the Luton Arches?

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Durobrivae

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 20:26:26 »
Could it be the building of the waterworks in Luton caused the bourne to dry up?

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 19:42:59 »
James P,
No evidence of a stream was uncovered during investigations or demolition of the old Christ Church, they used Auger piling for the new building but they were largely in chalk and as far as I know all came up dry. It is likely that the dry summers caused the stream to dry up was a more likely contributing factor to the  demise of the building. That apart the building was very badly built, laid on just 6ft flint foundations ( I actually dug down to inspect them).

However, the former Rector John Speers, who was there in the 1950's recalled to me once that he had been told that a village pond existed roughly where the entrance to the bus depot was. How true that is I don't know.

James P

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 17:46:24 »
The course of the Old Bourne through the Luton Valley has always intrigued me. As records show, it was intentionally covered from some point below Luton Arches, but further back into Luton disappeared below ground naturally some hundreds of years ago. I have tried without success to find record of its position through Luton. I have wondered if it played a part in the tragic subsidence of the old Christchurch, noting that about the same time my sister's house in nearby Pheasant Road developed a huge crack in the gable end wall, from top to bottom, requiring a great amount of repair work.

Durobrivae

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 02:02:18 »
Given the entire area was marshes, I would like to know where they got the infill from, it is an enormous amount of soil/chalk/clay to raise the entire area from marsh? St Mary's island was a similar situation but apparently they used the earth from the basins.

YonderYomper

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 21:28:54 »
Thanks for the pointer Kyn. :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 19:56:54 »
This thread may answer your questions:  http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=893.0

It may be worth using the search function on the forum, it can save time!

YonderYomper

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 12:43:59 »
A couple of questions I have about this stream:

Firstly, isn't that pumping station by Chatham Pentagon car park something to do with it... the one which is now a steam engine museum where they rebuilt the steam roller that used to be on the Darnley road play area?

Also, the stream has to emerge somewhere doesn't it?

Either to join the river directly at Chatham Ness, or as it passes through a water board facility to be ejected there in case of overflow?

medwayexplorer

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 14:27:52 »
I was working just off Luton road about 4 months ago delivering trench boxes to some fellas who had gone through a sewer pipe with a machine. They were fixing it and showed me where this sewer line intercepted a bigger one. We didn't open the lid but they said it was quite a way down and big. Wonder if this is access to the old culvert/sewer/stream.???

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines