News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: " The Brook" Chatham (Stream)  (Read 33630 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: " The Brook" Chatham (Stream)
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:17:13 »
Hi Jason.Yes i saw that bit about the milkman delivering milk with a boat.Brick lined tunnels of the Napoleonic era would tend to become flooded if they went under the Brook.Digging and lining such a tunnel would have been very difficult in those times as going on what you say i suspect a lot of river silt lies in that area.
We have a legend in Dover, that resurfaces now and again, of a tunnel between the Castle and Western Heights.But the same problems would have been encountered as at The Brook.

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:45:58 »
Boots in the Pentagon used to have a lot of problems with flooding, especially as their main electrics were underground. The Jolly Caukers in Batchelor Street has a sump pump for the same reason.

The Brook Pumping station is not longer connected to any of the sewers or Brook, however because of the water table it still fills up on a regular basis.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 21:08:38 »
Tesco nearly closed due to the subsidance problems.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 20:20:32 »
Hi TowerWill

The Brook used to be fairly wide - I've got an account somewhere of there being a couple of bridges across it - apparently one at the end of Batchelor Street.  There's a quote on my (shamelessly-promoted ;) ) page at:

http://www.historicmedway.co.uk/chatham/strange.htm

which says "...it was a waterway then. I can remember being told by a local man that his great grandfather delivered milk in a boat."

The Pentagon apparently has very deep foundations for exactly that reason, and I believe Tesco had to fix some subsidence problems on their building as well.

There were also a couple of pubs along opposite the old ABC cinema, and several times I've seen the Fire Brigade pumping water out of their cellars.  I take it they've got their own sump pumps now.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 17:07:09 »
Hi bromptonboy thanks for that interesting information on the Brook.I wondered if a stream flows(or flowed)in that vicinity.Not much chance of any Napoleonic tunnels going under that area of not becoming flooded then.In East Kent there's a couple of streams that only flow in very wet periods.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:02:08 »
Hi TowerWill. There was a stream anciently called the Bourne that rose in Waldersalde valley, flowed through Luton and down what we call the Brook to the River Medway close to where the Rats Bay pumping station is today. In the early Georgian period it was described as 'little more than an open-sewer into which all manner of waste is deposited, and from which noxious and foul fumes arise'. It was gradually bricked over and disappeared from view. The Brook pumping station is apparently linked to it as is the modern Rats Bay pumping station. When the Pentagon was built the foundations regularly flooded due to the very high water table in the area,
 as was also the tunnel later built from the Police Station to the Courthouse.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
" The Brook" Chatham (Stream)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 09:35:59 »
In the 'historicmedway,Strange things in Chatham' site a mention is made of a waterlogged tunnel under the Brook.Is the Brook a small stream such as we have in Dover?If so does it join the River Medway somewhere near where the Barrier Ditch once came down to the River?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines