News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham Cemetery  (Read 11894 times)

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
Re: Chatham Cemetery
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 22:39:25 »
If you contact  Bluebell Crematorium they hold most of the information about cemeteries.
redge

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 22:22:49 »
I've just looked up the details I used to obtain burial records and find that the link is now defunct. Looking on the Medway website I don't see where that service has now moved to. Perhaps as suggested by redge your best bet would be start at Bluebell Crem. Hopefully they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 21:27:03 »
If contact  Bluebell Crematorium they hold most of the information about cemeteries.
redge

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 17:43:13 »
You could also ask at Medway Council .They should hold the cemetery records.If you have his name and date of burial they should be able to give you the location of his grave ie  Section and Plot number.

I contacted them about ten years ago. As grandarog says if you can give them a name and date of death they will look up the burial for you. I knew of two of my family were buried there. As I have a fairly uncommon surname they supplied me with a further two burials within the same section.

Unfortunately many of the early grave markers were cleared away in the early 1980s. By chance my cousin saw them clearing the stones and got a very evasive answers when he questioned where they were going to be moved to.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 14:33:16 »
You could also ask at Medway Council .They should hold the cemetery records.If you have his name and date of burial they should be able to give you the location of his grave ie  Section and Plot number.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 08:46:07 »
Hi Gill B

I just did an internet search, try here:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2248108

Offline Gill B

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 03:25:52 »
Hi, is there a plan of burials at Chatham Cemetery please?  I would like to pay my respects to my great grandfather who died at the Empire Theatre in 1941 but have no idea where to start. 

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 17:30:30 »
Town Hall,
Chatham.

11th July 1941.

The Under Secretary of state,
Home Office,
Whitehall,
London S.W.1.

Sir,

Consecration of Portion of Chatham Burial Ground Extension.

I am directed by the Chatham Borough Council acting as the Burial authority to obtain the approval of the Secretary of state in regard to portion of the Chatham Burial Ground Extension which they propose asking the Bishop to consecrate.

In support of such application there are sent herewith:-

(I)   A plan in duplicate, drawn to a scale indicated thereon, showing in pink the whole of the ground to be consecrated, together with the approaches thereto, the paths, plantations etc. laid out or proposed to be laid out, the present and proposed allotments and the only building in such extension, viz., a Vestry.

(II)   A copy endorsed on the plan and authenticated of the resolution of the burial authority determining the portion to be consecrated.

(III)   A statement giving the particulars asked for in the Directions to Burial Authorities issued by your Department of 1st March, 1921.

It may be explained that all the lands uncoloured on the plan sent herewith, formed the subject of the approval of the Secretary of State dated 26th January, 1924.

I am, Sir,
Your obedient Servant,

Town Clerk

In re Application of Borough of Chatham Burial Authority in regard to portion of the Chatham Burial Ground Extension which they purpose asking the Bishop to consecrate and allotments thereof.

Statement in Support

(a)   Parishes

EcclesiascalPopulation (Estimated)CivilPopulation (Estimated)
St. Mary’s3350Chatham Extra34311
St. John’s9029
St. Paul’s11139
Christchurch7163
All Saints3630

(b)   Estimated number of burials annually – 580

(c)   Estimated number if burials annually in consecrated ground – 450

(d)   The portion set apart for consecration has been approved by the Church of England Ministers concerned.

(e)   No applications have been received for the allotment of portions of the ground for the use of particular denominations, adequate provision already having been made in other parts of the burial ground for denominations other than the Church of England.

Town Clerk
Chatham

11th July, 1941.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:23:07 »
I think I am right in saying that they were recovering all of the uncared for memorials and left a message on the likely candidates to contact the council if anyone wanted the grave stone to remain. Now you come to mention it, I do remember the crosses appearing on the grave stones.
Certainly a whole area was cleared in the old (Maidstone Road) cemetery just up from the chapel with now only a small number of graves still intact with their memorials. Presumably theses were the very early burials where the immediate family had moved on, although some of them look like child's plots.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 06:36:10 »
In the late 70s or very early 80's my cousin was driving his truck past Chatham cemetery and noticed the grave stones being removed. Guessing that we had family buried in their he asked what was being done with the memorials being removed. He said the workmen got very sheepish when he questioned them.

Has anyone got any ideas where the grave stones went?

I remember that - I think it was the 80s.  I used to go up Maidstone Road by bus every few weeks and the grave stones had big black crosses spray-painted on them before disappearing.  It looked like it had been done by vandals.

I never knew how they chose the ones that were removed - I always assumed they were just disposed of.  It seemed to go on for quite a while though.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 20:37:04 »
In the late 70s or very early 80's my cousin was driving his truck past Chatham cemetery and noticed the grave stones being removed. Guessing that we had family buried in their he asked what was being done with the memorials being removed. He said the workmen got very sheepish when he questioned them.

Has anyone got any ideas where the grave stones went?

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 22:10:34 »
The last memorial to Annie must be the largest figure I have ever seen on a grave. For those who don't know it the last photograph was taken at eye level looking up at it. It's like a Titan! Anyone know who she was or why she got such an enormous memorial?

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 21:57:40 »
More pics

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 18:37:13 »
I used to walk through the two cemeteries here on a regular basis on my way to and from the station at Chatham. The times varied from early in the morning (5 ish) for early turns to around midnight coming back off of late turns. I used to read the grave stones as well and at night the large statues close to the chapel seemed to glow in the moonlight! A bit later a child’s grave also near the chapel was lit by a small candle lamp on most nights which was quite sad.
I also liked to watch the squirrels scamper up the trees as I approached and in the evening and I am sure there are bats flying around in the gloom. There are some war Graves in the 'old' cemetery with a date of 1919 on them. I assume that these were for combatants who died of their injuries after the conflict or were still enlisted in at this time and based in Chatham.
In recent years I have noticed an influx of solar powered lights being placed on graves which I am not sure add to the serene atmosphere within the cemetery. Not been through there for about a year though.

merc

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:51 »
Thanks numanfan, I remember you posting about it :)...but I couldn't find the posts either...

Does anyone know when the cemetery was first started?

Also, any more info on the 1962 reinterred remains from the old cemetery at Whiffins Avenue?...Does it mean what's now Town Hall Gardens?, or the 'old military cemetery' next to it (which is now a car park) ?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines