News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Chatham Cemetery  (Read 14223 times)

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
Re: Chatham Cemetery
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 18:37:13 »
I used to walk through the two cemeteries here on a regular basis on my way to and from the station at Chatham. The times varied from early in the morning (5 ish) for early turns to around midnight coming back off of late turns. I used to read the grave stones as well and at night the large statues close to the chapel seemed to glow in the moonlight! A bit later a child’s grave also near the chapel was lit by a small candle lamp on most nights which was quite sad.
I also liked to watch the squirrels scamper up the trees as I approached and in the evening and I am sure there are bats flying around in the gloom. There are some war Graves in the 'old' cemetery with a date of 1919 on them. I assume that these were for combatants who died of their injuries after the conflict or were still enlisted in at this time and based in Chatham.
In recent years I have noticed an influx of solar powered lights being placed on graves which I am not sure add to the serene atmosphere within the cemetery. Not been through there for about a year though.

merc

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:51 »
Thanks numanfan, I remember you posting about it :)...but I couldn't find the posts either...

Does anyone know when the cemetery was first started?

Also, any more info on the 1962 reinterred remains from the old cemetery at Whiffins Avenue?...Does it mean what's now Town Hall Gardens?, or the 'old military cemetery' next to it (which is now a car park) ?

patmore

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 04:39:23 »
The memorial to Joshua Driver (3rd photo) stood together with a horse trough at Luton Arches for many years.

merc

Chatham Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 20:38:33 »
Maidstone Road, Chatham.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines