News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Langdon Structures  (Read 18358 times)

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
Re: Langdon structures
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 20:31:02 »
cliveh,
Yes, that looks like the two small tunnels.  I must thank Ted Ingham who has just confirmed the 100ft Barr & Stroud, Ted has seen the TNA papers and plans.  JohnG

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 15:36:50 »
Thanks again JohnG.

I presume these are the two small tunnels you mentioned:

I wondered what they were for!

cliveh

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 15:21:39 »
cliveh.  I am told that there was a light anti-aircrft gun mounted on one of the concrete platforms, the locker looking box was for ammunition, another part being the oservation post for the LAA gun.  Behind are two small tunnels in to the cliff, these were shelters for the gun crews.  There was a machine gun position in one of the aerialropeway tunnels looking down the Eastern Arm. Back in 1999 the National Trust had a survey done of the Langdon Cliffs area, although I did have some input in to it
I am not sure that I agree with all of its contents.  Regarding the Range Finding Station, it talks about a 30ft Barr & Stroud and then a 100ft Barr and Stroud.  There were 30ft range finders but I have never seen a 100ft one, this seems rather large to me.  I am trying to find out more on this.  If I find out more I will keep you posted.  TNA Refs for this are WO 78/5101 pt 3 and WO 78/5102.  JohnG

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 10:24:05 »
Thanks JohnG for solving this mystery.

Any ideas what the remains are along the Pearson fence as shown in my second set of photos?

cliveh

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 13:35:07 »
Hi All,  The concrete remains on the corner are the remains of a Coast Artillery Range Finding Statation for Langdon Battery. The hut base was the accommodation for the domestic site.  One mounting was for a 30 ft Barr and Stroud Range finder, this was later replaced with a 100ft Range Finder.  It is nothing to do with the aerial ropeway, for this there is the concrete base for one of the towers on the edge of the cliff, if you look below this, on the beach there is another one.  JohnG

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 12:02:50 »
Thanks Unfairytale and Helcion. It was just a thought.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 10:06:21 »
Yes unfairytale I noticed evidence of some stuctures by the fence too:

cliveh

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 00:24:47 »
Alastair    -

Unfairytale is spot-on in post No.9,  your structures are on the edge of the drop into Langdon Hole, just above the spoil tips & collapsed tunnel entrance for the ropeway.

There is a never-used ropeway tower base on the cliff edge nearby, the original plan being for the ropeway to go over the edge of the cliff down to Eastern Docks & a similar base is still visible at low water.
The bases have four distinctive plinths [?] for the tower legs.

Herewith a snap of the Coastguard cliff rescue team sitting on the tower base & a further view of some of your structures during a cliff rescue operation in 2009.

The ropeway bases along the Eastern Arm are clearly visible during the morning when the light is right.

As to the searchlights, I think these were the lights for the Examination Battery & were set into the base of the cliffs at the botton of the Zig-Zag path & still visitable via a short tunnel [at least they were when I last was down there a couple of years back], but I may be mistooken & stand to be corrected by more knowledgeable members.

Ropeway bases on Eastern Arm.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 23:00:58 »
I thought that at first, but there's also what seems to be a gun emplacement and magazines in that part of the fence too. I wonder if it's survival has anything to do with that?
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 21:56:38 »
built to protect the docks from chalk falls.
Or, more specifically, the oil tanks which were located directly beneath where the remains of the fence are (as I read recently). Is this the case?

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 20:54:53 »
Alastair, This is one of the bases you refer to. The ones this thread relates to are half a mile East, near to what's left of Pearsons' fence, built to protect the docks from chalk falls.

When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 15:40:28 »
Are the flat concrete bases the bases of the storage sheds for ballast used by the funicular railway? If so they would be roughly level with the hairpin.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 22:00:28 »
Yes Garry - that's the place. I thought they may be searchlight or AA gun mountings. They are close to the cliff's edge.

cliveh

Garry

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 21:33:34 »
Is this the flat area under the coastguard station?

I know there was a searchlight station in Langdon Bay - where the ss Falcon wreck is, but unsure where else they were in this area

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 20:52:42 »
Were they part of a searchlight position?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines