News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Historic Tree Outside the Garrison Church Brompton/Chatham  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Historic Tree Outside the Garrison Church Brompton/Chatham
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 17:46:05 »
On walking past the church recently I noticed a plaque set into the bed around the tree outside the Garrison Church in maxwell Road:

The plaque is located under the evergreen, facing Maxwell Road. It reads:
"This tree replaces one planted on may 12th 1935 by Major-General W.G.S. Dobbie C.B., C.M.G, D.S.O. in commemoration of the silver jubilee of Their Majesties King George V & Queen Mary 1910-1935"
Sadly it does not tell us when the tree was replaced!

That also got me thinking that the current tree must be at least the 3rd one there in the approximately 150 years the church has been there. The earliest image I have showing the church from that end is from 1865, about 10 years after the church was built. The tree (in fact trees, there are two) looks well established and I imagine it predates the church. Photograph reproduced by permission of the Royal Engineers Museum www.re-museum.co.uk

The next photo I have of that view is from c.1900 and there is just one tree. I think it is probably the front one of the two earlier trees with about 35 years more growth.

Sadly the next one I have is the one I took back in February 2011, shown at the start of this post, so I don't have one showing the commemorative tree planted for George V's Jubilee. I suspect there must be one or more out there, I wonder if we can find it. It also raises a couple of questions I don't know the answer to...

Was the old tree (in the 1865/1900 photos) felled to make way for the jubilee one, or had it just died/fallen natually?

What happened to the Jubilee tree? I wonder if maybe it was an elm hit by the Dutch Elm disease or something similar. And when was it replaced by the current tree?

I'm hoping that someone out there might have some answers/information on this.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines