News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Lord Palmerston/Marquis of Lorne/Unicorn, Mill Road, Gillingham [i]  (Read 8516 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 251
Re: The Lord Palmerston/Marquis of Lorne/Unicorn, Mill Road, Gillingham [i]
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 10:58:47 »
Now closed.......
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Karen

Hi, Yes it was called the Marquis of Lorne, my husbands parents were landlord & landlady from 1965 to 1983. Prior to that the landlord was a blind man called Alf Lampard and the address is 9 Mill Road.

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
I'm sure at one stage it was called "Marquis de Lorne" a small difference I know.

Ian

Actually, now that you mention it I think you could be right. 92 ish?

SailingTiger

I'm sure at one stage it was called "Marquis de Lorne" a small difference I know.

Ian

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Now this begs the question - when did it become the Unicorn, and when did it revert to the Marquis of Lorne?
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
I'm interested in where you get the date of the 1870s for the change as I have no idea for sure when the name changed. However, it is interesting to note that the licensing records give the address of the Lord Palmerston/Marquis of Lorne as "Fox Lane, New Brompton" right up until the 1900 entry.   By 1903 it is listed as "Mill Lane, New Brompton". Sadly I don't have the record for that pub in 1901/1902 so I can't say which year it is first recorded as Mill Lane. It remains as Mill lane until the 1939-58 Licensing record, during which time Mill Lane is crossed out and replaced with 9a Mill Road as the address (sadly there is no record of which exact year this change was made.)
I got the information from the 1871 ( Lord Palmerston Fox Lane) and 1881 ( Marquis of Lorne Mill Road) censuses. I have noticed before that the pub name and address in the licensing records appears to have been copied from previous entries including mistakes and old information. Although census entries were sometimes down to local interpretation they were at least checked by the Registrar and then the Superintendent Registrar and sometimes the enumerator had to update the entries.

Interesting about the Mill Lane listing as this was the old name for Windmill Road. I have checked all of my maps and they seem to confirm the change from Fox Lane to Mill Road between 1871 and 1881.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
Was it definitely Fox STREET he lived in?  I just ask because the Lord Palmerston/MoL is listed as being in Fox LANE in the 19th century (Fox Lane being the old name for Mill Road).

Fox Lane changed to Mill Road sometime in the 1870's about the same time as the Lord Palmston became the Marquis of Lorne. As Wildweasel stated, William H Tozer was living at No 4 Fox Street in 1901.

I'm interested in where you get the date of the 1870s for the change as I have no idea for sure when the name changed. However, it is interesting to note that the licensing records give the address of the Lord Palmerston/Marquis of Lorne as "Fox Lane, New Brompton" right up until the 1900 entry.   By 1903 it is listed as "Mill Lane, New Brompton". Sadly I don't have the record for that pub in 1901/1902 so I can't say which year it is first recorded as Mill Lane. It remains as Mill lane until the 1939-58 Licensing record, during which time Mill Lane is crossed out and replaced with 9a Mill Road as the address (sadly there is no record of which exact year this change was made.)
=========

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
Was it definitely Fox STREET he lived in?  I just ask because the Lord Palmerston/MoL is listed as being in Fox LANE in the 19th century (Fox Lane being the old name for Mill Road).

Fox Lane changed to Mill Road sometime in the 1870's about the same time as the Lord Palmston became the Marquis of Lorne. As Wildweasel stated, William H Tozer was living at No 4 Fox Street in 1901.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
Was it definitely Fox STREET he lived in?  I just ask because the Lord Palmerston/MoL is listed as being in Fox LANE in the 19th century (Fox Lane being the old name for Mill Road).
=========

Offline WildWeasel

• Appreciation 2
  • How do Road Gritters get to work ?
Interesting...I have been searching for info on this Pub recently as I am pretty sure a relative was Landlord & possibly owner around the turn of the century ( 1900 )
I have tracked William Tozer to a house in Fox Street ( Just behind the Pub ) He was a haulier and worked for the dockyard & I found a tentative link that showed one of his sons associated with the MOL....Then it just dried up...I can see from 1901 Census William was in Fox St but by 1911 he seems to have passed away as its just the wife and ( Interestingly ) Grand Daughter registered there

Was doing this for my Father who is seriously ill now...Still with us ( Just ) so any other info at the moment would be great !

WW
If it's too hard I can't do it !

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
Doing a little more digging on this one, from the 1872 licensing record until the 1890 one this pub was Licensed as the Lord Palmerston, although according to Baldwin in 1872 the Chatham News mentioned it as the Marquis of Lorne. By 1895 the Licensing records show it as the Marquis of Lorne (sadly I don't have the licensing records for this license for 1891-4). A similar thing happened with another pub in the area where it continued to be licemsed under an old name even though it had changed its sign! I suspect this is what happened in this case, and that it had been the Lord Palmerston earlier. Baldwin records the Lord Palmerstone being mentioned in the Chatham News in 1871, but he was unsure of its location at the time he published his 'Gillingham Chronicles'.  From this my guess would be that it changed its sign in 1872, but took another 20 years or so to update the pub name on the licence.
=========

donna packer

this pub was run by my step dads uncle in the 80s his real name was ian but alot of people called him steve cos his first wife was called stephanie!!! i never got it either..................................

oaktree

In the 1950's this pub was my Dad's watering hole. I can remember that  the landlord was Alf Lampard who was totally blind but he pulled a pint by inserting his finger into the glass and he never gave the wrong change! Also I recall the gents very well as they were openair with no lights! A bit dodgy at night if someone was already in there. No Health and Safety then.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
The Marquis of Lorne Pub has been in Mill Road since at least 1872. The name is probably associated with the Marquis of Lorne who was the eldest son of the Duke of Argyll and married Queen Victoria's daughter. He was Governor of Canada in 1861. There was also a Marquis of Lorne paddle-steamer operating on the River Medway in the late 19th century, but if the ship and pub were connected is unknown.

Photos Feb 2011

=========

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines