News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Possible Road / Track Block, Church Wood, Blean.  (Read 15562 times)

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
Re: Possible Road / Track Block, Church Wood, Blean.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 21:34:29 »
I passed by there last week. According to my GPS i took this picture at N51 17.741'  E001  02.176' looking in a westerly direction.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 17:09:06 »
The position of the Bench Mark is marked on the large scale maps, the height of the Bench Mark is indicated near the mark.  The position of the stream crossing the track is a good indication and I think it is about TR 11665955.
The road block is in the Heritage Environment Record (HER) and is Record TR15NW1106.  It is marked as a building and is not in the correct position.  According to the description the two blocks are in fact one piece of concrete which runs under the track.  It also mentions trees used as defences and slit trenches.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 14:11:43 »
Someone mentioned it was not on the Defence of Britain Project records, sadly that does not mean much.  The HER is just as bad.  If someone can give me an accurate NGR I can get it recorded.

The bench mark is indicated on the OS.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 12:30:20 »
Someone mentioned it was not on the Defence of Britain Project records, sadly that does not mean much.  The HER is just as bad.  If someone can give me an accurate NGR I can get it recorded.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3

Offline cptpies

• Appreciation 5
    • Extended Defence of Britain Overlay for Google Earth
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 11:01:01 »
It seems a strange place to put a road block.  I have not seen it, could you drive round it?  I would expect to see some other defences covering it.  Is it a training area?

It does seem a bit out of place and is well forward of the defence line that roughly followed the A290. It's actually at the point the road crosses a stream so is logical in that respect and the dense trees would have prevented its easy circumnavigation by vehicles. There would have had to have been supporting infantry in trenches nearby. It looks like the idea was to close a sneaky back route into Canterbury that vehicles could have readily used.
Get my Defence of Britain Overlay for GE here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/hS4-ddBEb_

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 19:22:18 »
There are no abandoned railways in that area. The only line nearby running through woodland was the Canterbury and Whitstable and that was very much in use during the War.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 17:41:26 »
It seems a strange place to put a road block.  I have not seen it, could you drive round it?  I would expect to see some other defences covering it.  Is it a training area?

Offline cptpies

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 17:33:21 »

I've not been there for a while. If its any use the location is about here  https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=214447609140423283880.0004e127f6096cba16a9c&msa=0

Thanks davpott that's perfect.

John it's not marked as a disused railway on the map and the width seems too narrow for a railblock, that said the same type of horizontal rail was used for both roads and rails so it`s only the context that makes the difference.
Get my Defence of Britain Overlay for GE here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/hS4-ddBEb_

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 16:20:53 »
Would this track be an old disused railway track.  It looks like it could be a railway block.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 14:21:51 »
I just stumbled across this revitalised old post. It is indeed a roadblock, more correctly known as an anti tank horizontal rail. Does anybody have an accurate location for it as it is not on the DoB or EDoB?

I've not been there for a while. If its any use the location is about here  https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=214447609140423283880.0004e127f6096cba16a9c&msa=0

Offline cptpies

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 12:54:22 »
I just stumbled across this revitalised old post. It is indeed a roadblock, more correctly known as an anti tank horizontal rail. Does anybody have an accurate location for it as it is not on the DoB or EDoB?

berry120

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 23:53:47 »
I was curious about this as well so fired off an email to the Blean Heritage and Community group, who replied with the following:

The concrete structures either side of the footpath at Church Wood, were tank traps. The thoughts at the time was that the Germans could come in at Swalecliffe, which is flat. They also felled all the mature standing oaks and these were left across the paths.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 19:18:21 »
More interesting structures in the area:
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10641.0

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 19:13:32 »
The side with the channel has a hole through,  I guess to stop the bar being lifted as I don't think it would have been a pivot as the block the other side just has a slot in it.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines