News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Royal Fountain Hotel, Bluetown Sheerness [i]  (Read 17619 times)

RMC153

Re: The Royal Fountain Hotel, Bluetown Sheerness [i]
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 22:20:35 »
Re the comment about the 1807 plaque on the Fountain Inn

From the newspaper collection on findmypast web site:

19 December 1806 - Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal

FOUNTAIN INN, SHEERNESS

GEORGE CLARKSON (late of the Marlbro’ Head Inn) returns his most grateful acknowledgements to his friends, and the public in general, for the very liberal support he has so long received; and begs leave to inform them, he has, at a very considerable expence, built the FOUNTAIN INN, near the New Pier, Sheerness, which is a roomy, commodious, and elegant house, superbly furnished with upwards of fifty beds, and every other article of furniture entirely new: and is now ready for the reception of Gentlemen and Families, who may please to honor him with their company. The Fountain Inn is situated to command views of the rivers Thames and Medway, the Nore, South-End, and all the surrounding country.

G.C. having purchased a large stock of choice old Wines, with the very best Liquors, hopes, by every attention in his power, to merit a continuance of their favors.

N.B.—Good Stall Stabling, &c. &c.

Packets from Chatham to Sheerness, and back, every tide, at one Shilling expence.
5th  Nov. 1806

George Clarkson and his wife Elizabeth both died in 1812. His son George Clarkson is presumably the George who ran the inn in the 1820s.

busyglen

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 14:19:46 »
Could the Fountain Inn, and the Royal Fountain Hotel be two different buildings?  It's possible that this is why there is so much confusion. BG

Offline The Sheppey Kingmaker

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 11:18:51 »
I have found out that on the 1826/1827 Pigots Directory of Kent a rather confusing bit of information. It say that G. Clarkson was the head of the Fountain Inn and that it was on the High Street. whilst it says that the Lord Nelson, King's Head and the Ship are in West Street and The Jolly Sailor was in Fountain Lane.

By what it says here it is possible that West Street did not go as far as it does now, but no idea why it should say that address for The Fountain (unless it is a typo). 

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 20:53:38 »
There is a Fountain public house listed in my first post @http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3855.0 c1806-07 What , if any, relationship this had with the Royal Fountain Hotel i cannot say, earlier building on same site?
To muddy the waters a little more, the plaque on the wall opposite the hotel gives the date of construction as 1807, closed as hotel 1982.

I have looked out the deeds which relate to a plot of land in the West of Bluetown that was once 'part of a piece or parcel of pasture or fresh marshland containing by estimation four acres more or less heretofore in the tenure of Henry Lee.'
The date of the original lease is Nov 1791. I have assumed that before this date the area was 'pasture or fresh marsh' But accept that i don't have all the information and i am probably wrong.

The only information i have on Bluetown pubs is from local papers and directories.
During the late 1990s the Fountain was a "drugs den", The Police raid made the South-east tv news. More recently, Aug 2010, the ground floor flat was badly damaged in a fire.
Cable Street The Young'uns

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 21:46:16 »
That sounds interesting as I know little of what Bluetown was like durung the  Period of the 1700's and early 1800). I would be very interested and useful if you could show any info about any pubs in the area of those deeds you were talking about.

Also I have just found a Primary sources that say that in 1802 there was a Fountain Hotel in Bluetown.

So it might be that when it said 1700 it meant 1700's (and so The Fountain could of been built in the 1790's, after the time of those deeds previously mentioned).

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 19:53:17 »
I have found a book called Kent's Pubs and Inns by G. Weaver (Published in 1977), the book says that  "The Royal Fountain was built in 1700 and started life as a coaching inn".
I have seen the deeds for this area of Bluetown and up to c 1790 the area was described as pasture.
I will see if I can look them out again.
Cable Street The Young'uns

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 15:27:58 »
Playing devil's advocate it is possible that both dates are right. The Fountain may well have been built as a coaching inn around 1700, but when the Dockyard was built the hotel could have been rebuilt, possibly in a slightly different location (especially if its former position was in the area needed for the Dockyard expansion).

As I only really know Sheerness to drive though and deliver stuff, I am just guessing, I really don't know much about the history of the town.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

busyglen

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 15:03:09 »
I got the information regarding the building of the Royal Fountain Hotel, from `A Chronology of the Isle of Sheppey' which stated that in "1812, The Navy Board wanted a yard capable of taking 75-gun ships and Sir Samuel Bentham wrote a report in favour of the rebuilding of Sheerness Dockyard.  The Royal Fountain Hotel was built". 

This was produced by KCC Arts & Libraries.

The most interesting things of note to happen in 1700 appears to be that the Mayor of Queenborough was fined by the court for taking oysters contrary to regulations.  :)

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 22:56:45 »
I have found a book called Kent's Pubs and Inns by G. Weaver (Published in 1977), the book says that        "The Royal Fountain was built in 1700 and started life as a coaching inn".

VicDelmonte

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 18:51:22 »
this picture shows the Hotel as it was in 1830, the building as a whole hasn't changed although it has been converted into flats  :Smiley  Sheerness pier starts on the left of this picture and in the background you can see the dockyard wall.Las Vegas HotelsPalm Springs Hotels

Well, maybe better flats than knocked down, right? So long as it's standing, there's always hope someone will come along who can restore it.

busyglen

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 11:58:09 »
Gosh, that brings back memories!

In the early 1960's my husband (my boyfriend as he was then) and I, occasionally used to go there with four friends on a Saturday evening for a drink.  I believe Alf Shepherd was mine host at that time.  What used to fascinate me was the chair that was in the saloon bar, and was `supposed' to be the one that Lord Nelson had sat in. I was quite upset to find out later that in fact he died before the Royal Fountain Hotel was built in 1812.   Mind you, I suppose he may have sat in that chair elsewhere, and it was acquired by the FH...we shall never know.  :)  There was also a ships wheel on the ceiling with lights attached, which I thought was `different' in those days.

I also have a memory of going there for a family lunch.  It was very antiquated, but the food was good.

Shame it ended up as flats. :(

Little Nell

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 23:11:38 »
Lovely to see old photos.  The Fountain Hotel was where the body of James Anthony Higho (a distant relative of my husband) was taken after he drowned whilst bathing on a day trip to Sheerness.  It's also where they held the inquest in July 1850 with the jury recommending that a fence be erected around the creek where he'd died.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 23:41:59 »
Mmmm do like these old pics  :)  Thanks Trev!

A nearly then and now pic  ;)

Trev

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 23:25:49 »
Found a pic, that's the extent of my knowledge.  ;)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
The Royal Fountain Hotel, Bluetown Sheerness [i]
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 13:01:40 »
this picture shows the Hotel as it was in 1830, the building as a whole hasn't changed although it has been converted into flats  ::)  Sheerness pier starts on the left of this picture and in the background you can see the dockyard wall.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines