News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Building on Corner of Gillingham Road/Nile Road, Gillingham  (Read 9806 times)

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
Re: Building on Corner of Gillingham Road/Nile Road, Gillingham
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 08:17:23 »
I remember belonging to the gym club in the 1950's and also remember doing a display for the public in the upstairs of the Coop Store in Gillingham High Street/Green Street.

Offline Hxgills

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 21:21:14 »
I was also a member of the Coop Gymnastics club in Nile road, my Dad used to work with Brian Pratt, the lads coach, I think I was about 7 yrs old when I started at the club and left aged about 16, many happy times and fond memories of the gymnast that I met there, I also rememer Martin who went on to form the Gillingham jumpers, Tony also a coach, Doug Kramer who also worked with my Dad and Mr Smith club secretary, I’m returning tonKent this weekend I will ask my Mother if she has any photos, was good reading the threads.

my Daughter was also a gymnast and competed at national level

boltactionuk

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 12:21:09 »
Laws is Martins second name. The beehive is the original sign and symbol for the co operative society i think to represent savings for the home etc.

boltactionuk

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:04 »
I used to go there and my two sisters attended the girls classes too. I still have my trophy from a competition win with that club. Brian Pratt taught the boys along with Martin who went on to start up Gillingham Jumpers within the Black Lion Sports Centre. Doug Kramer took the girls. Downstairs was a car parts store as you could see through the glass. The floor became unsafe but I really do not know what became of the club. I used to have a boy's gym photo but sadly lost it during moving about so much.

Mykey

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 09:12:04 »
I went to the Co-op Gym Club for many years up to the early 60's.  The building beloe the Gym was a store, groceries at first and then moter spares.  The gentleman who ran it was Charlie Watson, and the secretary was Mr. Smith.  I can't remember his first name.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 21:31:48 »
I'm sure I was told recently that it was a Coop dance Hall.

anneb

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 16:45:55 »
I think there might have been a hairdressers on the corner of the building and some sort of shop further down like a hardware or merchant shop. I can remember walking home that way from school in the late 1960's or very early 1970's.

silkenrobe

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 13:46:53 »
Hi,
I remember this store, during the 50's-60's it was called the Beehive stores, Dad used to get his packets of tea here amongst other things, it later become a car parts store.

That's it! Been bothering me for ages but I remember it being a car parts store as well

LocalLad

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 10:56:37 »
Hi,
I remember this store, during the 50's-60's it was called the Beehive stores, Dad used to get his packets of tea here amongst other things, it later become a car parts store.

seafordpete

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 15:04:25 »
Kelly's 1913 shows it as New Brompton Co-Operative, at 7 Nile Rd also 9 & 227a Gillingham Rd

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 13:45:14 »
I think the skep is a co op symbol- industry.  eg Bees on Manchester Crest  & Boddingtons brewery which has skep & bees

silkenrobe

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 13:13:45 »
That was the upstairs part, not sure about the downstairs part,

Indeed - I don't think the downstairs was a store, but really cant recall what was on the lower floor.  I'll do some more asking

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53:10 »
That was the upstairs part, not sure about the downstairs part,

silkenrobe

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:07:41 »
Can confirm it was called The Co-operative Gym Club when I went and I may have been slightly older than 8/9 when I stopped going (started ballet lessons instead)

Mum is going to search out for any photo's she has - I want to say the gym teachers name was actually Jim but I think that's my brain connecting the 2 words there   :)

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:39:06 »
I went to the gym classes there as well, in the late 60's.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines