News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eastern Docks and oil  (Read 2952 times)

Nemo

Re: Eastern Docks and oil
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 14:21:41 »
Thank you unfairytale and delboy.  Visited Dover Library's newspaper archive - didn't know they had one and I could easily get hooked!  Absolutely no reference to 900 tons of oil (Jim Callaghan) or 200-300 tons (Wingfield Digby) of RN oil being lost to the harbour (JC) or land (WD) between August - December 1956, nor in Dover Express' review of the year.  (By comparison, each of the (ex Admiralty) ShellMex tanks held 5,000 tons.)  No reference to RFA oil movements either, though what the paper does indicate is that the ShellMex tanks were for inbound oil from Grain, Fawley or Rotterdam, which would suggest that it then went by rail instead of coming by rail as I had assumed.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 18:48:05 »
Hi Nemo and welcome. British rail or Sealink as it became had their own fuelling gang and had fuel oil delivered by railtank to Bulwark yard. The train ferrys would have a rail tanker on the quayside of the ferry dock and it was gravity fed from the tanker to the ships tanks. If a road tanker was used to deliver fuel oil to a ship at the Eastern they would have to collect one of BR/Sealinks fuelling men from Bulwark yard first and take them with them to oversee the fuelling. I worked for British Rail Shipping Division from the 60s and I never knew of any fuelling being done from the naval tanks at the Eastern to ferrys. I think that they may still have been under WD control at the time. I believe the Esso tanks at the Eastern supplied oil/petrol  by road tanker but to who I am not sure.I hope this helps your enquiry,delboy

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 08:04:33 »
Mr Wigfield Digby seems to have answered the question about the slick, otherwise you could head down to Dover Reference library and look through their newspaper archive.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Nemo

Eastern Docks and oil
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 21:03:50 »
Er, my first post as a member, though for some time a fascinated visitor.  Several threads show both the changing pattern of naval, ex-naval and commercial oil tanks in the Eastern Docks and the railway that (I assume) used to supply them, and what I take to be oil pipes along the Eastern Arm can also be seen in a couple of the post WWII backgrounds.  I have two questions:

- did ro-ro ferries fuel from these installations in the 60s and 70s and, if so, how?
- can anyone shed more light on the incident that a certain young James Callaghan raised in parliament: [http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1956/nov/16/dover-harbour-fractured-oil-pipe]

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines