News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: the plough, swaileclife.  (Read 1747 times)

Offline parkerwoo

• Appreciation 0
Re: the plough, swaileclife.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 08:55:00 »
Hi

I know this is 6 years too late as I have only just joined. I have been tracing the Pout family for 10 years.

Yes you are 90% right that The Plough was run by the Pout Family. However the pub with at least the name as we know it was run by John Silk in the 1881 census (Search History of The Plough, Swalecliffe and a short History will be found). It is no doubt that John Silk was the Publican as he married Elizabeth Pout anyway.

More interesting for you is first in 1871 the pub as we know it probably did not exist but the property (?) adjacent to Edward and Sarah Pout was occupied by Sarah Ann Parker Nee Pout at that time recorded as widow (her husband was found as afar as I know) but correctly recorded as beer house keeper.

If this only entertains the few it is still a success but Liz if you still have an active email to this post contact me Sarah Pout is also my 3x Gt Grand Mother we are certainly related. 

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 21:26:58 »
The Plough St Johns Road Swalecliffe (not strictly speaking in Whitstable) is certainly still up & running. The current building is not the 1840 version though, C1930/40 I would say. I dont know if it is on the same site as the original, but I suspect it is as it is almost opposite Plough Lane. Google map "The Plough Swalecliffe" will bring it up nicely. Hope this helps.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 353
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 14:51:14 »
I'm not sure about its history, but it was still there and open last time I was in Whitstable (about 6 months ago).
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

liz

the plough, swaileclife.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:09:48 »
hello, has anyone have any info on a public house named the plough in swaileclife, whitstable i was told mygrt grt grt grandparents once owend it , but need more info ,  possibly 1840s the name of the couple were george and sarah pout, any info much appreciated . liz:)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines