News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Dockyard 1860 Plan  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
Re: Sheerness Dockyard 1860 Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:04:17 »
This is interesting as it puts the proposed terminus very close to where the current station is with a much longer branch to the Dock Yard. It must be remembered that it was personnel movements and communication that bought the railway to Sheerness not freight, there was no real need to go into the Dock Yard. That is why the line was bought into Bluetown and a later branch run into Sheerness. The Dock Yard branch on this is very close to what was built with only minor deviation.

S4. 
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 22:36:47 »
I was at the National Archives today, and as well as the 1860 plan showing the railway not being brought into the Dockyard, I saw one dated 1850 that seemed to show quite a well developed system of internal railways or tramways.

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 21:13:34 »
Belated thanks for posting this very interesting plan.  Serving the Dockyard was always put forward as one of the advantages of building the Sittingbourne & Sheerness Railway, but in fact there wasn't a railway siding that actually went into the Dockyard until some 45 years after the date of this plan!

I imagine that most heavy materials and equipment were brought into the yard by water, though I suspect that there was some sort of tramway for internal use before the main line connection was built.

Regards

Tom Burnham, Staplehurst

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Sheerness Dockyard 1860 Plan
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 14:31:45 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines