News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The Plotte of Sheppey" 1574  (Read 10225 times)

lesanne

Re: "The Plotte of Sheppey" 1574
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 19:25:40 »
Is there a property called Norrys plz.
Thank you

Martin H

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 23:10:22 »
Thanks. I've known about the map for some time, but have been unable to get a good look at that bit. The map seems to have been drawn up to identify the Shurland estates, which were then exchanged with the crown for other lands. Henry Cheyney, who wasted the family fortune, then moved to Tudington, and built a new house. The Sheppey estates then seem to have been split up and passed on to many new owners. It is said that Queen Elizabeth took the opportunity to despoil Shurland Hall and the estates, because Henry VIII stayed there on his honeymoon with one of her mothers replacements as a guest of Sir Thomes Cheyney. I am not sure that a busy Queen Elizabeth would have bothered to do this, but who knows.

When the estate was split up, many of the houses seem to have been re-built, using the materials from Shurland. I am absolutely sure that Norwood Manor was substantially re-built in around 1590 using materials from Shurland. The map shows a house there before this and there is evidence here of an earlier house, posibly as old a 12th Century, but there is very little from that date.

Thanks again for showing this section.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 20:28:33 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 14:13:54 »

This one shows both the ones your looking for Martin H  :)

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 11:45:36 »
Paul, Kyn kindly has a post running on Swale Ness fort in the forts section. That said if you Google Earth the area there is the embankment (now breached with a hulk inside) and the remains of something started can be made out. Regards, Sentinel S4.

Its not earthworks just an old channel, It can be seen as a channel on the original map the rest has been eroded :)

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 23:46:17 »
I think it is Lord Cheney, as the plan was to show his land.

I'm sure you're right, too obvious to guess myself

Martin H

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 23:39:01 »
Kyn
Could you post a close up of the area round eastchurch, I would like to know if Kingsborough and Norwood are shown on the map.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 21:49:39 »
Paul, Kyn kindly has a post running on Swale Ness fort in the forts section. That said if you Google Earth the area there is the embankment (now breached with a hulk inside) and the remains of something started can be made out. Regards, Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 16:31:53 »
I think it is Lord Cheney, as the plan was to show his land.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 14:52:05 »
Thank you Kyn.

We shouldn't necessarily expect the map to be comprehensive since the intention was to show property ownership.

I see from your new larger version that the SE corner of Elmley (now Spitend) was "Storcke" not "Storoke". Googling for "Storcke Elmley" didn't find anything, and "Stork Elmley" just found endless pages of ornithology. There was a building there, with trees or orchard, in 1574, but nothing today. What I thought was Muswell Manor near Shellness is still hard to read but could be Mysweld or Myswold.

The farms have occupiers' names rather than placenames. But Netts near Queenborough is Neat's Court. Just east of that a cluster without a name, presumably Cowstead and Wallend. The beacon to the north Furze Hall (known locally as Telegraph Hill). Just south of Queenborough, "A Borne and ground belonging to St Katheryns" is possibly Manor Farm at Rushendon, now built over. But which St Katheryns? Cambridge University or somewhere closer? Elmley is owned by Oxford University.

Some of the properties have an annotation "L Ch". Does anyone know what that might mean?

"NVTTS" inland from Warden Bay rings a bell - is there a Nuts farm today? Nothing on my map.

Capel and Rayham are still names in use today.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:51:03 »
It would be nice to find out if the Fort was finished? :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:01:17 »
As Swaleness Fort is marked on this plan I believe that it did indeed exist, most defence plans that are posted are proposed works but this plan is showing us what was there at the time!

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:38:30 »
Plan from file MPF 1/240 National Archives
The plan was drawn to show Lord Cheney's possessions on Sheppey, which includes other owners names.  The red circles indicate land owned by Lord Cheney.

I shall add sections of the plan over time, Warden Church is marked as a ruined church.  I shall post a couple of sections later today!

Yes that is Swaleness Fort marked, I shall add a close up in the relevant topic  :)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:56:34 »
Is that Swaleness fort I can make out? If so it resembles the last of the drawings in the Post of that name. Where do you find all this good stuff? Wonderful.
             Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines