News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wye Racecourse  (Read 10077 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
Re: Wye Racecourse
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 00:59:07 »
This is a good view of the race course.  The stables can be seen top right.

JW

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 00:10:06 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline mike57

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:35:24 »
Hi everybody,

these are my recollections of Wye racecourse.

The course was owned by a local farming family by the name of Long. It was not the first racecourse in Wye, the original one was set behind the Crown on the north downs.

My grandfather worked at the racecourse on race days and for the following week, collecting litter and repairing the jumps. My father had a part time job of painting everything, the stands, rails etc, all were green and white, must have been a soul destroying job!

I used to help collecting the litter after race days, school permitting and spent many hours with my stick (nail in the end!) just wandering around and feeding the bonfire.

I used to love the track during these times, it always felt strange wandering through the bar areas, seeing the the empty bottle and glasses, torn up tickets etc as if everyone had just been swept away.

There was a railway platform adjacent to the track, just showing how important the race goers were to British rail at the time.

The track was closed when it was decided by the racing authorities that the bottom bend should be banked as it had an adverse camber. As the owners were not prepared to pay for the work to be done, neither were the authorities, it closed and reverted to farm land. 

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 00:39:49 »
There's just one photo of Wye Race course at the bottom of this page which might be of interest.

http://theapprenticejockey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/no-racing-here-today-again.html

John

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 11:54:43 »
Thank you john59 very interesting appreciated. You remember it better than I do.

john59

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 11:49:16 »
i went to wye races from 1969 the racecards cost one shilling i have great memories going there with my late father we would watch the racing from the middle of the course it was a case of watch your step as it was covered with cow pats the place was run down the stands very basic the course was very very tight and one mile round it had 6 fences on the chase course one of these was a cross fence on that tight corner after the home straight the water jump was the 3rd last he back straight ran alongside the railway followed by a really tight turn into thehome straight i will always love this place even though i saw my 1st horse fatality there tea sent ridden by e p hartey an irishman who won the national on highland wedding most of the races had very small fields there was an incident of a jockey c goldsworthy being given an electric shock after landing on a live cattlefence after a fall it was the days of st johns medics not paramedics the ambulances at some courses were so old 1st world war vintage i miss this place it was where along with plumpton i began as a kid to love racing i had great times there jellied eels 2 and 6 a bowl yuck there is a chapter and photos of wye in a book called a long time gone i do not know the author it was a run down place but great charm goodbye wye they could not raise the cash for cambering the bend into the home straight and updating it those were the days a piece of old mat round a concrete post was the protection for jockeys who fell of as for royalty there was none exept for the late great royal trainer peter cazlett who had runners there some of which could have been the queen mothers although they must have been slow if she did hope this helps its great others who experienced this place sharing there memories

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 20:26:00 »
So when I first saw it it was a working race course. It looked abandoned in the early 70's not supprised that it was closed. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:19 »
The first race was on Tuesday  29th May 1849 and the last meeting was 2nd May 1974. Our next door neighbour used to go a lot in the early 60s but I never saw any photo's and he's no longer with us now, so can't ask him.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline ashwood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 07:53:33 »
A lovely cou rse I remember Tommy Stack riding there. I believe a local farmer Mr Amos owned it. Seem to remember the dreaded
Health and Safety forced it's closure.  I used to do a bit of part time taxi work in the 60s,pick up two  or three bookies at the station
round to the Midland Bank fill the boot up with bags of money take them to Wye security!!!
Spent the next couple of hours walking round looking for odd cash dropped by the punters. 
Back after racing reverse procedure.Happy days.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 04:45:02 »
I can remember my Dad pointing out the remains of the Race course to me in the early 1970's. He had no interest in horse racing but would point out the site when we went past on the train. Up until abput 1975/6 most of the fence rails were still in situe. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:10:54 »
Aerial view - I guess this is them

1921 OS Map

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 19:07:56 »
Hi Tony I notice its your 1st post so welcome to the forum thanks I've been waiting a long time for any kind of answer on this cant be any old racegoers on here :) good luck.

Tony

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 15:33:50 »
Whilst I don't have any photos nor have I ever been to Wye Racecourse, when I was travelling to London on the train yesterday passengers behind me were discussing the racing there. Apparently the field on the right hand side (London bound) just after Wye Station is the site of the racecourse and the original stables are still standing and can be clearly seen.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Wye Racecourse
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 13:58:34 »
One of my favourite pastimes is horseracing I did once go to Wye racing in the 60s but cannot picture it, wondered if anybody  has any pictures
info or memories of this old course think it closed late 60s

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines