News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Livingstone Arms, Livingstone Arms, Gillingham  (Read 12260 times)

Offline GP

• Appreciation 12
Re: Livingstone Arms, Livingstone Arms, Gillingham
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 17:04:28 »
The hamburger bar/takeaway has recently closed permanently. So that did not last long.

It would appear that the upstairs part is turned into flats.

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 10:59:44 »
This an interesting topic.  Is there anyone who would be able to describe what the pub was like from 1963 to 1966?

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 20:27:47 »
Don`t blame the brewers all the time, there are some very greedy landlords about as well, when a pint goes up 10p probably more than half is going to him/her. pr1uk Wetherspoons may keep their prices down and you make it sound as if they get old beer. I can assure you I have never had a bad pint in one.

I've just noticed this thread.

When a beer goes up 10p a pint. 2p will go as VAT. The likely split of the ex VAT split will be 4.5p brewery and duty increase. 3.5p increase for the pub to cover increased wages.Rent increases. Energy cost increases. dispense gas increases. rubbish collection increases. etc etc.

Net increase in income to the landlord is likely to be zilch if they are lucky.

For too many that try and compete for the bottom end of the market against wetherspoons they will go bankrupt and the pub begin a downward spiral towards permanent closure.

Spoons don't buy short dated stock. But they do buy very in large volumes and thereby negotiate significant discounts from breweries. Much of that discount can then passed on to their punters.
What they are sometimes not so good at is stock control at their warehouses. They are not the only company bad in this respect. Brewers nearly always had a load at the back take stock from the front system; modern logistics saves space whereby older stock sometimes gets buried behind newer stock and not end up for sale until very close to the original best before date.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 04:25:46 »
Dont blame the brewers all the time there are some very greedy landlords about as well, when a pint goes up 10p probably more than half is going to him/her. pr1uk Witherspoons may keep there prices down and you make it sound as if they get old beer I can assure you I have never had a bad pint in one

Oh, I agree Wetherspoons are the best out there and I have always had a great pint when I have used them and at the best prices around. I hope they buy more old pubs and re-open them. If it's the breweries or landlords fault, all I know is that once full pubs have priced themselves out of business.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 18:43:27 »
Don`t blame the brewers all the time, there are some very greedy landlords about as well, when a pint goes up 10p probably more than half is going to him/her. pr1uk Wetherspoons may keep their prices down and you make it sound as if they get old beer. I can assure you I have never had a bad pint in one.

Offline GP

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 12:37:11 »
Just driven past the Livingstone Arms pub. It has been boarded up with second hand wood in a very unattractive manner.  My guess is that it has been sold off by the brewery and will be turned into some kind of residential use.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 18:31:33 »
I brew my own now. I can`t honestly remember the last time I walked into a pub.

Yes, that's OK if it was just about the drink but I live alone and having company for awhile can be as important as having a beer. Mind you I do like a few beers :-)
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 21:25:32 »
I brew my own now. I can`t honestly remember the last time I walked into a pub.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 16:24:10 »
Its a number of things. The Government seems to think that all pubs are like The Woolpack, The Vic or The Rovers, ie full of happy locals, or perhaps the full-up country pubs or trendy gastro-pubs that Nigel Farage likes to be photographed in. The reality couldn't be further from the truth. Back street boozers are dying and it is being allowed to happen. Why would I want to go into a pub and pay £3 to £3.50 for a pint of Stella (not that I drink that muck - I'm just using it as an example), when I can get an almost pint can of the stuff from my local corner shop for £1. Pubs which survive do so because they offer something other than just booze. The smoking ban didn't help, but I'm afraid the back street boozer is being priced out of existence by greedy pubcos and breweries and it's being allowed to happen by a Government which doesn't give a monkeys.
Closed pubs don't win votes.

Took me a minute or two to work out your pub reference :-) (don't watch or like soaps) it is just price being an OAP paying £3.25 to £4.25 for a pint of ale is not within my reach and even cheap cans in the supermarkets are always lager, you never see bitter that cheap unless it's more water then beer. The worst thing is if your on your own and would like some company, popping in the local and having 3 pints you have done a tenner, that`s £70 a week, I don`t spend that much on food.
Bring back the good old days!
-Peter

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 253
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:48:11 »
Its a number of things. The Government seems to think that all pubs are like The Woolpack, The Vic or The Rovers, ie full of happy locals, or perhaps the full-up country pubs or trendy gastro-pubs that Nigel Farage likes to be photographed in. The reality couldn't be further from the truth. Back street boozers are dying and it is being allowed to happen. Why would I want to go into a pub and pay £3 to £3.50 for a pint of Stella (not that I drink that muck - I'm just using it as an example), when I can get an almost pint can of the stuff from my local corner shop for £1. Pubs which survive do so because they offer something other than just booze. The smoking ban didn't help, but I'm afraid the back street boozer is being priced out of existence by greedy pubcos and breweries and it's being allowed to happen by a Government which doesn't give a monkeys.
Closed pubs don't win votes.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:30:26 »
Again it's Shepherd Neame thinking they rule the roost, Toooooooo dear.

I blame the brewers for all the closures, they always said it was the tax on beer but remember every time the Chancellor put a 1 penny on beer they added even more and the price would go up around 10 pence each time. No, the breweries have been too greedy for too long and the prices are now ridiculous, yet look at Wetherspoon pubs, good beers at good prices and their pubs are full and make a healthy profit. If breweries like Shepherd Neame keep going the way they are then soon every town will have one pub left and the beer they can't sell will go to people like Wetherspoon's who will sell it for half the price and still make a healthy profit.
-Peter

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 19:58:46 »
Again it's Shepherd Neame thinking they rule the roost, Toooooooo dear.

redge

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 253
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 16:01:05 »
Another one gone. This pub has been closed for a few months now, but I noticed the other day that it's now properly boarded up.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

AlanWCollins

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 01:38:30 »
Since late 2008, the Livingstone Arms has been run by my sister's fiancée's mother. It is still the away supporters' pub, as it was considered to be when my dad worked there in the 70's, because it is just two roads up from the away supporters' entrance, and is easy for the police to marshal to and from the station.

Back to the pub, if you go in the main bar and take a look at the ceiling, you will see it is decorated with a large collection of 'Away' football shirts, (or at least it was when I last went last season).

The shirts are indeed still there, Stewie, and they are still offered more, although they are running out of ceiling space to put them! Most of the away fans are friendly and enjoy the atmosphere, but it hasn't always been that way. When my Dad worked there and a team like Millwall came down, they were ordered by the police to close once the fans started leaving Priestfield (though, after previous incidents with tables, glasses and bottles being used as weapons, they were only too happy to oblige!).

In July, I, along with a group of people including my sister and her fiancée, were given tickets to the friendly match against Millwall. We decided to meet up at the Livvie, but spent most of the time upstairs, watching the "merry" (and vocal!) Millwall fans, given my prominent Gills' shirt... We went back to the Livvie after the match, and were quickly hurried inside as the police had ordered the landlady (who was stood at the door on her own) to shut the pub to the Millwall fans. Some things never change...

There are also many photographs around on Facebook of me worse for wear in that pub, and one occasion, I even ended up crashing in one of the spare bedrooms, rather than risk trying to get a taxi home! I have to admit I was woken early the next morning by a large throng of vocal West Ham fans who were in town for (I believe) and FA Cup match.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines