News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Fortified houses?  (Read 14746 times)

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
Re: Fortified houses?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 19:52:20 »
Going to post this bit in Fortified Houses, not sure where it belongs really. Coming past North Foreland lighthouse today. The phone rings so being a good boy I pulled over turned the engine off to take the call, another time waster. But to make my day across the other side of the road a nice flint wall, with a couple of nice ww2 type loopholes. Now I must have driven past this wall thousands of times and never noticed this before. The building, Stone House School, was a private school till the 1970s and was possibly used by the army during ww2. 

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 22:05:41 »
From 'Front Line County':
A 2 mile length of the pipe was laid by a cable-laying ship in the Medway, for test purposes, in May 1942. (I can't find out where)

There were 4 pipes from the Isle of Wight to Cherbourg and 17 from Dungeness to Boulogne. The Kent ones were actually in 4 separate sites and reached a peak delivery of 1m gallons of petrol a day.

The pumping stations were supplied by a 1000 mile length of underground pipes from various oil refineries. To provide a short-term 'buffer' in case the overland supply was interrupted, there were large storage tanks also hidden as bungalows.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 21:14:17 »
There wouldn't have been any point in arming them (in the sense of placing weapons in them) since at that stage of the war there was no risk of ground attack.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 21:06:56 »
I understand the Commanding Officer of PLUTO would be flown along the coast to check if the disguise was working. Woe betide any of the houses that did not look normal. I have no idea whether any of the bungalows was ever armed as they wanted a complete veil of secrecy over the purpose of the new buildings. I also believe that they were all pump/valve houses and the reinforcing was there for defence as opposed to offence. Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 20:41:32 »
The pump houses for the 'Pipe Line Under The Ocean' (PLUTO) fuel supply to France, at Dungeness, were disguised to look like bungalows.

I doubt if any 'house', except for a massive and obvious concrete tower, could stand the recoil force of an AA gun of any size, though.

Offline Andrew401968

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 19:47:49 »
Hi, just found this, and thought I would add something. I've noticed recently that at the rear of the former Magpie Pub, on Magpie Hall Road, there are appears to be an extension with loopholed walls and reinforced concreate roof, about 8 to 12 inches thick. Also near by, in the grounds of the Church at the Junction with Mill Street, is a small structure with a steel door and reinforced concreate roof...I have often wondered what it could be...but what it reminds me of is the Armoury of the TA unit i use to belong too.

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:00:28 »
I would have thought any port area or bridge would have strongpoints. I have seen a photo of a house next to a bridge in Kent with loopholes knocked through - can't remember where tho'. In Newhaven a large number of houses on the hillside facing the port were beefed up with sandbags and timber and I would think the same in any other port town

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:49:33 »
Yes: a house in Mayfield Gardens, Dover (adjoining the Dover - Deal railway line) is known to have been fortified in WW2, and various buildings in the Medway towns must have been reinforced, at least, to act as defended strong points.
See http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1433.0 and http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7232.15

AnDy

Fortified houses?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 23:39:07 »
Does anyone know if there were any purpose, or otherwise built, 'fortified' houses in Kent, i.e. a home with anti-aircraft guns mounted on the roof and the walls of the building being made of re-inforced concrete??

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines