News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Martello Tower No 03  (Read 4971 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

starcom68

  • Guest
Re: Martello Tower No 03
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:14:32 »
24.05.2011







Offline JohnG

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 411
  • Appreciation 33
Re: Martello Tower No 03
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 18:29:52 »
Another photograph of Tower No 3 with XDO Post on the top.

Offline JohnG

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 411
  • Appreciation 33
Re: Martello Tower No 03
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 18:06:13 »
Another 1867 Plan of Martello Tower No 3

seafordpete

  • Guest
Re: Martello Tower No 03
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 15:31:38 »
One of the teachers at maidstone Grammar used to be quite proud of the fact that he had bought a Martello in the Depression and the provided employment by getting it taken down brick by brick and selling on the bricks and making a good profit. No idea where it was though

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7430
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Martello Tower No 03
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 15:03:01 »
Martello Tower No. 3 was constructed in 1806 on the cliff edge at Folkestone above Copt Point.  The Martello Towers were built to defend against an invasion by Napoleon and were designed using plans by Colonel Twiss and Captain Ford. 


After 1850 the tower was used by the Coastguard, with the Coastguard members and families living there.  For around 15 years a family by the name of Finn lived there, apparently one year they fired the retained cannon on the roof three times to celebrate the wedding of a lady who had been born in the tower.  The shots caused an invasion scare as people believed that the French had launched an aerial attack.  The tower was further used as a residence until 1914 and later used as a clubhouse for the local golf course.  Newspaper reports show that there was local concern regarding the word ‘Golf’ being painted on the side of the Martello Tower and they insisted it made the town look bad, this was eventually removed. 

6th September 1934

During WWII the tower was added to with a concrete observation point being added, incorporating the tower with the coastal battery built adjacent to the tower, the tower also housed a Hotchkiss Machine Gun.  A few years later another platform was added to the top of the tower although it was later removed.  The tower was disused after the war until 1990 when Shepway Council bought it and later opened it as a visitor centre.

Could this refer to Tower No. 3?
07 January 1937

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines