News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Punch & Judy Man in Broadstairs  (Read 6267 times)

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
Re: Punch & Judy Man in Broadstairs
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 19:23:20 »
The aviary with the budgies was in York Street Broadstairs, just along from the sub post office, the post office is still there, not the budgies.Saw a tourist the other day. just the one.

seaJane

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 16:19:16 »
Not far from where we used to stay either, 44 Pierremont Avenue.... with Bill and Rene Edwards.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 20:21:39 »
Lutonman, that was just round the corner from where I used to live in Queens Rd, almost opposite the entrance to Pierremont Park.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 20:05:54 »
I went with my family to 5 Ramsgate Road Broadstairs in the late fifities and early sixties and remember the Punch and Judy man, the Donkeys and also the putting green opposite side of the road. Great Days

seaJane

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 15:03:23 »
We holidayed in Broadstairs all through the 1960s! I remember the Punch and Judy man and the donkeys; also the little train that used to go round and round a circular track at the end of the beach farthest from the jetty. Think there is a bouncy-castle type playground there now?

Talking of things in Broadstairs, there was also a grating in one of the pavements which was above a room where someone kept an aviary of budgerigars - does anyone remember that?

seafordpete

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:03:04 »
Mick was Jack Edwardes, can't find much about him other than in 1970 he was running a pub nr Clacton, The Kings Arms Fratling. Ex RAF pilot he met up with Charlie duting the war.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 10:02:49 »
I had a bit of a google and found that Mick's name was Jack Edwardes, they met when they were in the RAF together. I have no idea if Mick lived in Broadstairs though, he could well have done as he always seemed to be on the beach .  Maybe Mick didn't have much in the way of work when Charlie decided to try adult audiences though and they split up . I'll have to dig out my old pics, as I think there may be one of Mick and his dog  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:47:34 »
Yes I remember them. Always covered in paste or paint. Mick had a face like a clown without any makeup!Reminded me of Coco.
 I suppose he must have lived around Broadstairs?
mmitch.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:17:33 »
Yes , I remember the Punch and Judy man . There were still donkeys on Viking Bay beach a few years back ( post 2000 anyway ) but whether they are still there I don't know. Another person on the beach but during the late 50s was Mick , had a small dog with him , he was partnered at one time with Charlie Drake on the telly, they were known as Mick and Montmorency, anyone remember them at all ?  :)

royal

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:07:39 »
Yes i remember him what a good show he put on

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
Punch & Judy Man in Broadstairs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 20:55:27 »
Does anyone have any memories of the Punch & Judy man in Broadstairs in the 60's? I seem to recall he would drum up trade by walking around the beach carrying Mr Punch and with a trail of children in his wake. The fortunate ones used to get to carry either a hand bell or a hat I think. Being quite young in those days, I cannot remebre an awful lot of detail but I seem to recall he used to wear odd coloured socks as part of his costume.
I am sure that there used to be Donkey rides on Broadstairs beach as well.  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines