News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St. Saviours Tin Tabernacle, Faversham  (Read 4668 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: St. Saviours Tin Tabernacle, Faversham
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 22:55:46 »
I think the phrase tin tabernacle or tin church was more a term of endearment, certainly I went to Sunday school back in the 50s to the one between Halfway and the top of Bat and Ball hill on the Minster road and everyone called it the tin chapel as a matter of course. Things might have been different back in the days of good Queen Victoria when there was some animosity in some parts of the country between church and chapel. In some parts of the country though, due to the rapidly expanding size of the industrial towns, even the established church would buy a tin church as a stop gap until a more permanent structure could be built.

The tin chapels were made in their thousands and exported across the world.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-architecture/flatpack-churches.html

There's an advert in this link for one of the manufacturers.
http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/tin-tabernacles/tin-tabernacles.html
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 22:30:22 »
I really shouldn't comment as I have no real 'Authority' but I was always under the impression that the term 'Tin Tabernacle' was a rather scathing 'nick name' for these tiny churches. It was certainly used about the St Johns Mission Church at Sharpes Green, Lower Rainham which was a sister church to St Mary Magdalene Parish Church at Gillingham Green, so definitely C of E. They must have come out of a 'patten book' because the one in the picture looked very similar to the one I remember.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 23:54:23 »
From "Victorian Churches In Kent" -

C of E St Saviours, Whitstable Rd, 1885
Pointed, Iron, Bellcote, Mission Church of St Mary, Closed in 1950, and successively used as parish hall, printing works, tent hire and now antiques (1984).

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:06:59 »
I`ve no idea which denomination. Appears to be quite a size for a tin chapel!
The OED defines a 'Tabernacle’ as (among other things) “A meeting place for non-conformists”. So, provided that is its 'official' name and not an assumed one, it was not CofE.

I think that `Tabernacle` is no more than a nickname and the more correct description should be `Iron Church`. `Tabernacle` appears always to be connected with nonconformist denominations but most, if not all, denominations have an `Iron Church` somewhere or other in the world, many of them `listed`.
I heard a highly unlikely tale of a `Tin Tabernacle`, not in this country, which was shared by Baptists and Methodists. During a storm, half of the roof was ripped off and the other half, damaged. On Sunday morning Baptists were directed to sit on the left and Methodists on the right. This ensured that if it rained, the Baptists would be `totally immersed` and the Methodists `sprinkled`.   

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 21:58:06 »
I`ve no idea which denomination. Appears to be quite a size for a tin chapel!
The OED defines a 'Tabernacle’ as (among other things) “A meeting place for non-conformists”. So, provided that is its 'official' name and not an assumed one, it was not CofE.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
St. Saviours Tin Tabernacle, Faversham
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 20:30:42 »
St. Saviours, East Street. About 10 years ago it was occupied by a woodworking establishment. I`ve no idea which denomination. Appears to be quite a size for a tin chapel!

From Google Maps

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines