News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gas Decontamination Centre  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
Re: Gas Decontamination Centre
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 21:56:58 »
Not just nuclear fallout, but residuals from other chemical nasties like mustard gas (not really a gas but a mist), Persistent Nerve Agents (such as VX) which they fully expected the Soviets and their buddies to throw at us.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Re: Gas Decontamination Centre
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 23:08:31 »
There were several of these through the dockyard. One is in the bushes on the left as you come through the Main Gate. They were Decontamination Cleaning Stations with rows of high pressure showers along the wall. Contaminated workers would go in one end and pass through the showers to emerge not quite so contaminated at the other end! They are 1950's in construction and were for atomic bomb fallout.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Gas Decontamination Centre
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 21:47:47 »
Located next to the Lead & Paint Mill, this structure is identified, in the Dockyard Historical Society's booklet on the Mill, as a Gas Decontamination Centre. On my 1955 Dockyard Plan it's a "Cleaning Post"!

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines