News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Clarke of Strood chemist  (Read 6697 times)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
Re: Clarke of Strood chemist
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:25:36 »
Thankyou numanfan, in the close up the initials on the sign are the same as on my medicine bottle as well... W.E Clarke.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:56:57 »
Thankyou for putting the pictures on numanfan it is very much appreciated and boy hasn't the area changed and not for the better( looks wise) by the looks of things!.
Thankyou for the link seafordpete..I can see what you mean about 'getting to grips with it' but I reckon all I want is in there...somewhere :)

seafordpete

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 15:07:03 »
all the directories you could wish for (nearly), bit of a pig to navigate at first but gets easier with use
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 14:47:46 »
Cheers numanfan I would like to see that if you dig it out. As you say Clarke could have been there for some time..I have searched Google for Directories but cannot seem to find any so thanks for what you have given me.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 13:49:27 »
The shop could well of been there for years - that's the earliest Kelly's I have.

I don't think I've got a photo of the exact shop, but I'm sure somewhere there's a shot of the 'parade' it was in. I'll try & find it later.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 13:39:38 »
Excellent, thankyou numanfan, it is later than I thought judging by the lip design and manufacture..you wouldn't happen to have a photo would you :) please. Once again thanks so much SB.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:05:55 »
William Edward Clarke, Chemist.

28 High Street, Strood. 1937 Kelly's.

Heading towards Rochester Bridge from Strood, this was on the left hand side, a few shops along from Station Road.

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
Clarke of Strood chemist
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:42:58 »
I found this little, 5 inches apprx tall,  medicine bottle at the bootfair today and wonder if anyone knows of the Chemist shop? and dare I ask has a picture :) and when it was running in Strood. It looks to date from apprx 1890's - 1920's Thanks SB.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines