News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness  (Read 15609 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Re: Sheerness
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 20:54:36 »
A fascinating report recently released by Historic England which looks in depth and the beginnings of the Town of Sheerness.  It mentions the importance of the boundaries of the fortifications but follows the town as it develops from a small Dockyard hamlet to a large and popular town:

https://content.historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/characterisation-of-sheerness-kent-project-report/61034355-r01-sheerness-characterisation-project-report.pdf/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 14:22:12 »

Deano

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 14:48:35 »
I used to climb over the back gate of many a off-licence and then collect the retuns...
why is it, the only people who never knew about it was the blokes running the off-licence
never could work that out

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 12:04:24 »
Re the thread on the different towns in Sherrness ( I can't find the original )

"........ also called Unity Street built by Jimmy Ward of 50 houses sometimes called

The Fifties ,Tenants became owners after paying rent for 13 years "

see  Local newspaper  1919 Jan 4th

The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:00 »
Very funny CDP.. I am running out of room so do not want too much to look for now.
Minsterboy I would be after one of those bottles if they have Sheerness etc embossed/printed on the glass. I also used to get returns but it was for Pepsi bottles. 'No' we never climbed over the back of the Rose and Crown at Leysdown :)

Minsterboy

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 19:54:34 »
On the subject of bottles, although not the type Sheppey Bottles is interested in, I recall we used to be able to buy sterilised milk in long glass bottles. When I was around 9-10 I found that there was one type that had like olympic rings around the neck and that if you took the empty ones back to the corner shop he gave you 2d refund per bottle. So there was me as a youngster, after dark, going along Jefferson Road collecting all of these type of bottles that I could find that had been put out for the milkman. It didn't last long as a money spinner tho, because the shop keeper soon sussed what I was up to.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 19:45:49 »
Minster boy   Yes ,you are correct ,I always mix those roads up.

and Sheppey bottles I can only think of Mr.Seasger who built Seager Road.

Does Seager Town ring a bell ( ha ha ) only joking !

Minsterboy

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 19:07:37 »
I only remember Tubby Ward living in a house in Richmond Street, opposite the end of Clyde Street, he was still living there I believe until he died. He wallpapered his walls will newspaper I seem to recall.

In my late teens/early twenties Stout and mild was my drink and Mackeson was the stout of choice.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 18:35:53 »
Yes, I am sure it was Mackesons..she used to call it her medicine. Mackesons were at Hythe by the way and I do have an old embossed bottle from them :)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 18:34:56 »
Please don't think of any more CDP :)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 18:31:55 »
And there was also Wards Town named after Tubby Wards faher  ( remember him selling comics along the beaches in the Summer  ?)   who built 50 houses in Jefferson Road .Tubby used to live in one of them

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 17:58:40 »
Mackeson I think.

Yes, Mackeson's Nourishing Stout: my Gran used to drink it. She'd buy a crate of pint bottles from Lukeys in Dover, open the first one evening and drink half of it, then ram the crown cork back on. And then drink the second (flat) half the next evening, and so on. Sorry, Admin, way off topic I know...

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 17:50:42 »
I did not live round there Minsterboy just have bottles from that area. I do not know which premises Martins had but someone I spoke to many years ago at a Harty flower festival said that they remember Martins having a codd bottle opener built into the counter. I just wondered if you knew the shop at all but as I say it may have been long before your time as she is now getting towards her late eighties I should think.

CDP.. Well, there was me thinking that I had two thirds of the area covered and of course I forgot Banks Town!.. so half way there and two areas to find then :) they may be out there as I never thought I would see one with Blue Town on as The Criterion flagon has.

Minsterboy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 14:49:53 »
So where round there did you live Sheppey Bottles?
Although I don't recall it, I imagine that Martins could of been the grocers on the corner of James Street/Richmond Street.

Banks Town named after Delemark Banks, but where exactly was Banks Town, difficult to know where all the demarcation lines were.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 14:32:35 »
Sheppey-Bottles  . As well as Marine Town , Mile Town , Blue Town , don't forget Banks Town etc

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines