News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dean Gate Ridge  (Read 1196 times)

Pledge

Re: Dean Gate Ridge
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 14:37:48 »
There's one photo of it as a working railway in Medway Council's CityArk:

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/Scans/Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections_1357_1980/DE0402_Couchman_ephemera_and_MSS_/DE0402_25.html/DE402_25_32b.jpg

Reference: DE0402_Couchman_ephemera_and_MSS_/DE0402_25. Page 32 is the relevant section to took at if you want to see the notes regarding the railway. Couchman's accompanying notes relate history of railway 1873-1965 when tracks were lifted.<br /
>
There is also a picture of where the railway bridged the A228 in one of the books on M&D buses my brother owns.

Cheers

Pledge

Offline DMC

• Appreciation 1
Re: Dean Gate Ridge
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 19:36:47 »
Lots more on the Lodge hill and Upnor Railway here

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/12/lodge_hill.htm

I think also that some of the rolling stock from this railway no resides at the Sittingbourne & Kemsley Railway, another line recently threatened with closure but who's future is now looking a little more rosy.

I did a little while ago scan into my pc a  OS map of the area and overlaid the track bed on to it. it being, I think, illegal to copy a OS map without the permission of her maj, I did of course delete it immediately.  ;) ;) if anyone wonders where the track bed went PM me and I can explain, it
s about 6mega's worth of 'explanation' though. :o
DMC

merc

Dean Gate Ridge
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 22:57:24 »
This was part of "The Chattenden Naval Tramway"
Built about 1901 as a single track railway between the magazines at Lodge Hill and Sharnal Street.
In 1915 it was extended to Kingsnorth in order to serve a munitions factory and the Airship Hangers.

The munitions factory closed and later the line became "The Kingsnorth Light Railway". The line closed in 1940 and the tracks removed as a wartime economy.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines