News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dean Gate Ridge  (Read 1062 times)

Pledge

Re: Dean Gate Ridge
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 14:37:48 »
There's one photo of it as a working railway in Medway Council's CityArk:

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/Scans/Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections_1357_1980/DE0402_Couchman_ephemera_and_MSS_/DE0402_25.html/DE402_25_32b.jpg

Reference: DE0402_Couchman_ephemera_and_MSS_/DE0402_25. Page 32 is the relevant section to took at if you want to see the notes regarding the railway. Couchman's accompanying notes relate history of railway 1873-1965 when tracks were lifted.<br /
>
There is also a picture of where the railway bridged the A228 in one of the books on M&D buses my brother owns.

Cheers

Pledge

Offline DMC

• Appreciation 1
Re: Dean Gate Ridge
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 19:36:47 »
Lots more on the Lodge hill and Upnor Railway here

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/12/lodge_hill.htm

I think also that some of the rolling stock from this railway no resides at the Sittingbourne & Kemsley Railway, another line recently threatened with closure but who's future is now looking a little more rosy.

I did a little while ago scan into my pc a  OS map of the area and overlaid the track bed on to it. it being, I think, illegal to copy a OS map without the permission of her maj, I did of course delete it immediately.  ;) ;) if anyone wonders where the track bed went PM me and I can explain, it
s about 6mega's worth of 'explanation' though. :o
DMC

merc

Dean Gate Ridge
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 22:57:24 »
This was part of "The Chattenden Naval Tramway"
Built about 1901 as a single track railway between the magazines at Lodge Hill and Sharnal Street.
In 1915 it was extended to Kingsnorth in order to serve a munitions factory and the Airship Hangers.

The munitions factory closed and later the line became "The Kingsnorth Light Railway". The line closed in 1940 and the tracks removed as a wartime economy.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines