News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Flushing Pier  (Read 21583 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Re: Flushing Pier
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 22:14:11 »
I believe the same origin is found in Flushing Meadows in New York, which of course was New Amsterdam before we 'acquired' it from the Dutch in the 1660s and renamed it New York!
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Martin H

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 21:58:17 »
The flushing pier at Quenborough, was so called becaus it ran a service to flushing in holland.The same as the olau. Flushing was a victorian mis pronounciaton of Vlisingham, i bet I spelt that wrong! Port Victoria probably ran to the same place so may also have been a flushing pier. In the days before british rail, there were many rail companies, all offering cross chanel services from there own areas.When the rail companies merged, many of these became redundent.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 21:44:35 »
Sorry to be green but is this the same or a different place? I am thinking this was Port Victoria

Martin H

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 21:42:52 »
I dont want to bore you with tecnical stuf, I start with a hi res optical scan at at least 600 DPI, and then I use paint shop pro, it has photo enhancment as good as any other, and you can run a salt and pepper filter to smoth out the dots, you can also run a moire pattern filter, that removes the patterns of lines. I then balance the contrast and brightness and manually remove all blemishes. It takes a lot of work to get the newsprint pic to look good.
As for the Seatle speakman pamphlet, I have a copy and a lady I used to work with at Klippons had another. She is third from the left and her name was Mrs Wildish.
And this is the colour version of the pic of the pier
This is a pic of the flushing ferry

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 20:05:23 »
Medway Queen Built in 1924. What is the date on that pic? Nice to see a close up of the LCDR M class 4-4-0 out on the pier.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 14:11:07 »
A couple from my dads archive.I've seen a colour tinted version of the first one

I'm not sure if this was taken from the end of the pier.Is that the Medway Queen?

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 23:04:35 »
That makes two surviving copies at least, maybe three, of the Settle Speakeman booklet. CDP's scan mentions shipbreaking at the pier after 1918. The company was Cox & Danks, my mother worked for them a while after leaving school. She said they broke up the German fleet that had scuppered in the Scapa Flow, and showed me large chunks of rusty iron lying on the slope of the sea wall. They were still there well after the pier had been demolished, possibly removed when the seawall was rebuilt later.

Martin H

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 22:09:01 »
I have a hi res scan of this pic for you all to see.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 18:34:01 »
Thank you CDP. That was very interesting. It is a pity that two of the three LCDR sea routes/piers have now gone. I refer to Gravesend West as the other with Dover as the last. Ramsgate was never seen as a route for the LCDR, the terminus was too far from the harbour. I could do with more on Flushing Pier as there seems to be very little in print which makes this gold dust for me. Thanks again.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Flushing Pier
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 18:26:57 »
From Settle Speakman and Co Ltd,. 1907 to 1957 booklet .

The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines