News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Bridge Wardens, Tideway, Rochester [i]  (Read 6806 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Re: The Bridge Wardens, Tideway, Rochester [i]
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 00:08:36 »
Now demolished.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34:13 »
It's changed a bit since I last drank there in the early 70s. More adverts where there were none, cameras never existed in my days there and an extension on the left hand side looking at that pic. Is that a restaurant they've attached to it?
Arthur Toyer started doing fish and chips with a chip fryer in the off licence in the early 60s and the stink of fat got loads of complaints. Not that Arthur took any notice as it was all money in the bank as far as he was concerned.
AlanH.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 02:25:13 »
According to Google you're right MOK. Those houses behind the pub weren't there when I lived in Cookham Wood and I could have sworn the police houses built on "our" wood on Maidstone Rd were in Kent Close.
None of my rellies can remember what that close was called.
AlanH.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:32:03 »
Yes they were the police houses Rochester-bred, opposite Arethusa Rd, 3 semis and a detached place between the open space which led up to the bus  terminus, and Pilot Rd.
Kent Close was right opposite my old house on Maidstone Road and next to Sir Evelyn Road. Mostly dog handlers lived there I think.
They ruined a good wood when they built those police houses as our camps were in there.
AlanH.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 16:54:04 »
I always thought the houses opposite the Pub in Tideway where the police houses .
***I am still the child within***

MOK

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 15:42:33 »
Toyer, Tolcher, its my age you know. I like being a strange character  :)
Kent close was the police houses road I believe.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 12:12:55 »
I remember the police houses and the bank which went up to the bus stop near the garage they built houses on this later on but boy, wasn`t that a good bank to go down in the snow .

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:53:11 »
I moved to Cookham Wood in 1952 and from a very hazy memory think the pub was built not long after or maybe 3 -4 years later. First landlord was Arthur Toyer ex landlord of the Red Lion at Star Hill.
I worked for Arthur for a while when I was in my early 20s and he told me he was the longest serving tenant of Truemans or Watneys or whoever it was had owned the Red Lion.
He had a son Craig sometime known as Tom Toyer who was a haemophiliac.
Used to be quite a good little pub with some strange characters drinking there ... same as all pubs!
There was a row of police houses right opposite and one of the cops by the name of Stan a traffic sergeant, used to watch the pub intently to make sure it closed on time.
He wasn't all bad though as he never gave me a ticket for driving without an experienced driver when I had "L" plates on.
I'll scratch the head and try and drag up some more memories.
AlanH.

MOK

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 15:41:28 »
When I knew it from the inside rather than the outside, walking past on my way to school (1973/4 onwards, the landlord was Arthur Tolcher. I think it went up at the same time as the estate around it mid to late 1950's

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:53:38 »
Ask Leofwine 'cos he knows more pubs than anyone else I have known. :) :)
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:38:20 »
I seem to remember this pub on a previous thread and I think that the man who may know is AlanH.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
The Bridge Wardens, Tideway, Rochester [i]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:24:23 »
Im wondering if anyone knows when this was built or has any old pictures of this pub ,thank you.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines