News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Walderslade Valley  (Read 36333 times)

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
Re: Walderslade Valley
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 11:52:35 »

What a fabulous photo, cant believe the open countryside  what a great find!!

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2012, 16:02:27 »
Yet another newly acquired postcard. This one shows Reeves bus at the bottom of Robin Hood Lane. Probably 1920s.

libistar

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2012, 23:24:18 »
These photos are incredible, its strange because with time everything changes life and the city changes, but when you flash back looking at old picture you  can still some of the history before and after.
Especially with one of the other threads in the forum regarding the Skyline at the old granville hotel, that was bombed and I think was used by the Canadians as a hospital

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2012, 18:58:32 »
Regarding the posts of 16th February on Boundaries, there is a map of the Medway local authority ward boundaries in this link:
http://www.medway.gov.uk/councilanddemocracy/elections/previouselections/councilelections2011/resultsindetail2011.aspx

But to confuse the issue, parts of Walderslade are in Maidstone local authority area, and parts are in Tonbridge and Malling for parliamentary elections. And the boundary between Chatham and Gillingham 'zig-zags' from one side of the road to the other up Chatham Hill and along Watling Street between Luton Arches and Barnsole Road.

And I bet if you throw in parish boundaries it will get even more confusing!
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2012, 18:32:54 »
 I wonder if the rates are very differant?

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2012, 18:20:39 »
Even at the bottom of Bluebell Hill , it comes under Tonbridge and Malling, very confusing
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 17:57:05 »

Yes Peterchall, things are a bit confusing, my  daughter lives in  Walderslade and their area comes under  Maidstone ,. it gets worse we have some freinds, not far from them and they come under Tonbridge and Malling it  makes no sense at all.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 09:02:05 »
Regarding the posts of 16th February on Boundaries, there is a map of the Medway local authority ward boundaries in this link:
http://www.medway.gov.uk/councilanddemocracy/elections/previouselections/councilelections2011/resultsindetail2011.aspx

But to confuse the issue, parts of Walderslade are in Maidstone local authority area, and parts are in Tonbridge and Malling for parliamentary elections. And the boundary between Chatham and Gillingham 'zig-zags' from one side of the road to the other up Chatham Hill and along Watling Street between Luton Arches and Barnsole Road.

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2012, 06:45:57 »
Very good davidt love to see then and now.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 20:16:24 »

What a  great collection Davidt , in very good condition ,thanks for posting them,  the  changes  are amazing  the area  of undeveloped land  I wish Iwas back there. peace  and quiet, you can only imagine it.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 20:02:47 »
What great pics, thanks davidt, there's a bit of difference now  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 18:21:41 »
Finally, as promised, here are pictures of the rest of my Walderslade postcards:

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 17:58:56 »
Now that shows how opinions differ Ajemp. I've always thought of Weedswood as part of Walderslade, but again that's just my own opinion. The other debate of course is where does Walderslade become Lordswood? I've always thought it was once you got to the flat bit at the top of Dargets Road, so everything once the hill levelled out was Lordswood and everything on the hill was still Walderslade. I'm sure there are others who would disagree...

I suppose that's the problem where different communities/towns/villages run into each other. It seems to have always been a problem in the Medway area. I think I remember a quote from Dickens about not knowing where the boundaries are for Chatham, Rochester and Gillingham.

I'm just scanning my other pictures now, so I should be able to upload them shortly.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 19:28:13 »
Look forward to more pics davidt

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 17:56:08 »

Thanks for your help on pics, Walderslade boys school  was allways in the boundries  , but Weedswood wasn't ...........not sure .

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines