News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Walderslade Valley  (Read 36390 times)

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
Re: Walderslade Valley
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 17:32:24 »
You've asked an interesting question there Ajemp. I'm not sure what the official answer is. Personally I class Chatham as going up to the Magpie Hall Road end of Waterworks Hill, Walderslade starting at The Poachers Pocket (formerly the Hook and Hatchet shown in the card) and the bit in between as Wayfield. That's only my personal opinion though.

Historically, the valley part of Waterworks Hill was a hamlet called Snodhurst (also known as Snolledge), there was a separate hamlet around the Hook and Hatchet pub and Walderslade itself was the farming area around the Homestead (see my previous picture).

The other picture you posted is interesting as it is almost the reverse of my view - it's looking back through the village and the hill in the background is where the photographer for my view must have been standing.

Both pictures you posted (and your older Robin Hood Lane picture) come from a set of 12 (or possibly two sets of 6) postcards from around the 1920s. I have the full set and I'll post the rest on here at some point.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 15:15:19 »

Not sure  iif this  is part of Walderslate or not,  where is the boundry ?

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 13:12:17 »
davidt put me down for 1/2dozen bungalows please :)

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 11:33:07 »

Just found this pic  heading into village, how things have changed.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:35 »

fabulous photos  ..........where did you find them?  ........cant believe that  so much  has changed, I  wonder what the pace of  life was then , it looks so tranquill , thanks for showing them.

It still is tranquil :)

....in between the police sirens and screeching of boy racer's tyres! :)
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 23:19:45 »
The pace of life was much slower then. I have heard that Walderslade was a popular place for a Sunday walk from Chatham. I think a lot of people only came as far as the Hook and Hatchet though (now the Poachers Pocket). Also heard another tale that the road came to a sudden end where two large trees met. I suppose it still is relatively tranquil Chatham_Girl85 - compared with some other places!

I tracked these ones down on one of the well known online auction sites Ajemp. They don't come up very often though. I missed out on another copy (or maybe even the same one) of the advertising card a few years ago.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 20:39:46 »

fabulous photos  ..........where did you find them?  ........cant believe that  so much  has changed, I  wonder what the pace of  life was then , it looks so tranquill , thanks for showing them.

It still is tranquil :)

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 20:28:01 »

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 124
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 20:17:14 »
Great photos, thanks for sharing them :)
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 19:44:40 »
Thought I'd share my latest purchases for my postcard collection with you all (just don't ask how much!!!)

For those of you who don't recognise the view, this is taken from the bank behind Chestnut Avenue looking down onto what is now the main shopping area. The view now would mostly be of the new Co-op. I believe the building roughly in the centre was the original Co-op. The row of cottages on the left are still there on the Walderslade Road, which comes in from the bottom left corner. What is now the Sherwood Oak can be seen in the distance on the road running left to right.

This card shows The Homestead on what was Victoria Road and is now Princes Avenue. The road running behind the house is Dargets Road. The back is equally interesting as it is advertising the original plots of land which were for sale in the area. No dates are shown, but I think it must be early 1900s.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 09:16:56 »
This is a general topic about Walderslade Valley as a whole and individual places should not be discussed here.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:31 »
Anybody remember or have a photo of the Robin Hood Cafe would have stood to the right of the land that the garage was built on1950s

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 23:15:21 »
I think the bypass opened in 1986. As regards to dating the photo, When was petrol 76p a Gallon?

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 22:00:12 »
Hi Davidt' glad you like the photos, i'll check  for more, [only just worked out photo bucket]

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 21:26:53 »
Great photo Ajemp - thanks for sharing it. I would think it is probably closer to 30 years ago than 20, as it's pre-bypass. Not sure when that was built but it was definitely a good few years before 1992. Have you got any more photos of Walderslade from that era? I'm sure there are a few of us who'd love to see them.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines