News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Walderslade Valley  (Read 53118 times)

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
Re: Walderslade Valley
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 21:14:13 »

This photo I took about 20 plus years ago .....check the fuel prices,  lots of changes not so much land left to build on.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 20:57:18 »

not sure about the year of this picture but plenty of spare land around!!!

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 12:42:40 »
[IMG]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u405

YoungNan

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 22:16:22 »

Oh how Ive loved looking at those photos.  Ive lived in Walderslade all my life, went to Walderslade Girls School in the late 60's/early 70's.  I remember having a friend who live in Lordswood, going to see her and thought it was the back of beyond!! Buses only ran 1 an hour...oh how its changed! 

louisewomble

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 18:21:33 »
The naval estate - as it's known locally is still there!  I have friends who live in those houses - they were all auctioned off about 20 years ago, discounts gong to ex/service service families. 
The later pics of Walderslade are interesting - I hadn't seen those before.  Many plots of land in Lords Wood and Walderslade were sold off to Dockyard workers in the 50/60's.  An old couple I knew bought a plot in the old part of Lordswood lane many moons ago.  He was in the Navy and bought the plot weekly out of his wages.  He owned it a good 10 years before he built on it and they lived in the house until he died.  The house was auctioned off and the garden "land-grabbed" by a greedy new owner! 
Many of the plots were used as weekedn retreats - this area was then out in the country and consdered very rural.  Many people raised tin houses which were purchase in kit form, others built wahtever they could.  Some used old railway carriges.  There's a house along Princes avenue that I think could be built of train carriages - if so it may well be the last.  The lady who lives in it will probably be the last to - unless it gets preserves for future generations - it would make a lovely museum for local history!  But it'll probably end up as 3 building plots - like most of the others have!
My sister used to live in Brendon Avenue - which is just above and behind the school in Dargets hill!

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 14:55:55 »
Hi Wilmur57,
Funny you should mention the maisonettes today. We were in the area on Friday and went and had a look at the maisonette we lived in . We did have a ground floor one so were lucky from the coal point of view, but that fire wasn't my hubby's favourite thing, he ended up with no eyebrows when the gas poker blew back when he lit it one day  :) Our loose covers were a horrible dingy beige colour but we never asked for different ones, and I remember the tally man doing his rounds. Also the welfare office in one of the other flats. I kept my own Dr as I came from Gillingham, so rarely went down the village in Walderslade, plus opposite our flat there lived a  Chief PO and his wife who was a nurse, and she used to give out advice if any of the wives needed it, saved a visit to the Dr if it was easily remedied.
Some of the flats and houses look just as they did but the majority have been updated now, I enjoyed living there. There was just one shop on Dargets Road itself when we moved there,  it's now been altered to a bungalow, the others opened shortly before we moved. Oh, I forgot to mention the bedspreads with the anchor  :) and foam mattresses ! and the dark brown tiled floors  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

wilmur57

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 14:16:10 »
Hi Lyn L
We lived in the maisonettes down at the bottom of the estate on Goad Avenue. Ours was an upstairs flat which was a bit of a pain getting the pram up and the shopping. It was a coal fire so that was kept in a shed downstairs so again had to be carried up. A man used to come round every week or so selling bags of logs which used to eake out the coal a bit and a tally man come round selling bits of luxuries like bedding or towels-- I bought an ottoman from him and paid for it on the weekly. The furniture was very basic and the suite had wooden arms and loose covers which we could order new ones if we didnt like them, The spare bedroom had twin beds with the blue and white bedspreads with the anchor motif in the middle.Not the luxury of carpets in the bedrooms, just lino, and I cant really remember what the kitchen was like. Round the corner not far from where we lived was a row of shops with a little supermarket ,I think was called Vi's. I was pregnant when I first moved into the estate and we had to go see the midwife in one of the flats which was converted into something like a welfare office but I seem to think I had to go to the doctors down in the village. Went onto Google earth the other day and actually found the block I lived in and printed off a picture for my daughter as she had never seen where she lived when she was born. Oh happy days !!!!!

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 21:59:06 »
Yes Wilmur57, the houses are still there, all privately owned now, we probably were living there about the same time. We lived in Duchess of Kent Drive and then Huckleberry Close for a short while. Can't quite remember when we left there now though.  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

wilmur57

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 21:20:59 »
I lived in the Navy married quarters in Dargets Wood in late 1966 and my daughter was born in Canada House in Gillingham. Are the old married quarters still there or has the estate been demolished ? I can remember the bus from Chatham struggling up a very steep hill and where I got off the bus was Lordswood estate on one side and Dargets wood on the other. I used to think Lordswood was very posh in them days. !!!

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 20:10:42 »
Got it, I can see where I am now, Dargets Hill would go off to the left in the bottom pic. Just a bit different to when I lived in married qtrs up there  :) Thanks davidt.

davidt

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 19:10:42 »
Both views show Princes Avenue (although it would probably have still been known as Victoria Road then).

The views are actually quite similar as they both show the junction with Dargets Road looking towards the junction with Walderslade Road.

The bottom picture is the easier to explain as the white building is The Homestead and the building on the far left is the school in Dargets Road. The long building with the dark windows is the old methodist chapel which stood on the opposite side of Dargets Road to The Homestead (which is the oldest house in Walderslade and is still there).

The top photo is taken from slightly further back, probably roughly where Sundridge Drive is now. You can see the chapel in the distance and that gives you a good bearing when comparing it with the other view.

In both pictures, the buidlings at the top are the ones just off the Walderslade Road behind Chestnut Avenue

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 18:59:44 »
They are great pics, but perhaps someone could give me bearings as I'm lost  :)

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 18:50:33 »
Fantastic pictures davidt, thanks for sharing them.

I've lived in Walderslade / Lords Wood for nearly 25 years & it took a while to get my 'bearings' on those views. As you said, slightly different now.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

davidt

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 18:16:38 »
A couple of scans from my postcard collection which I thought you might like to see. Not sure of the date but probably 1920s or maybe 1930s.

It's changed slightly since then....

simon

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 14:16:14 »
Those pictures are fabulous, I always am on the lookout for Walderslade pics, and the one of Dargets is new to me! Tanks!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines