News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Murder Behind the Town Hall Gardens, Chatham, 1974  (Read 13387 times)

King Chav

Re: the murder behind the town hall gardens
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 08:04:10 »
I've been to the archives today & found the details.

The attack happened in September 1974. The trial was July 1975 - the defendant was given a life sentence.

I do have the names of the people involved, but as it's less than 40 years ago there will probably still be relatives living locally. If anyone wants the names, pm me, but I don't want to post them publicly.

I remember this murder very well. My father was working as a groundsman for the MoD at the time and he was pulled in for questioning at the time because he used to walk to the sports ground at the top of the Great Lines. I recall the perpetrator had a cut on his hand - my father also had a cut on his hand at the time...

tedthedog

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 06:19:06 »
Hi,
My name is Ted Wright and I was the Police Dog Handler on that awful Sunday morning. The young girl was on her way to the Cathedral where she was a chorister. Her husband was in the Royal Navy and had to be flown home.  A tragic episode amongst many I'm afraid.                                            Both "One Dog and Her Man-The Life of Police Dog Bess and the sequel "Bomb Dog Mitch-Another box of Dogs" which covers my actions when the Royal Marines at Deal were blown up by the IRA, have just been released on Amazon Kindle. Also on http://tedthedogbooks.com 

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 07:25:18 »
I can remember this, I went to Arden street school with her, my husband lived in Hartington street as well and remembers the questions being asked.

jaj

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 00:34:48 »
I seem to recall the tragic victim was buried at Boxley Church.

erfman

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 00:25:50 »
thanks very much fellow members, I had an idea come to mind, like you do sometimes, and I couldn't recall the facts, but I knew somebody on the forum would come up positive! that aside, sadly, a tragic outcome for the young lady. erfman

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 19:09:00 »
I have just returned a book to the library called 'One Dog and Her Man' BY Ted Wright- ISBN: 10: 0948193719

The book is about Bess, the police dog and her handler, it is 'written' by Bess, and tells of growing up, training to become a police dog and includes a selection of police cases she was involved in.

This murder is accounted in the book.

Well worth a read.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 18:16:19 »
I've been to the archives today & found the details.

The attack happened in September 1974. The trial was July 1975 - the defendant was given a life sentence.

I do have the names of the people involved, but as it's less than 40 years ago there will probably still be relatives living locally. If anyone wants the names, pm me, but I don't want to post them publicly.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 18:13:58 »

Fred the Needle, my father in law used to get a lift to work with this chap in the car and they all talked abut the murder not knowing the chap with them did it.
***I am still the child within***

Fred the Needle

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 16:42:16 »
If that's the one that erfman is on about Rochester-bred then I remember it well.  Mainly because the original description of the man they were looking for as reported in the papers appeared to be me!  It was remarkably accurate - even down to the watch and ring I wore at the time.  Only deviation was that I wore the ring on my right hand and the description had it on the left.

Soon to be mother-in-law questioned her daughter (my fiancee) very closely.  Luckily fiancee was able to give me a cast iron alibi.  I was most definitely in Rochester at the time.  But the accuracy of the description amazed me.  And if I recall, the man they got for it bore no relationship to the first description anyway.

Oddly enough, at the time I had a friend who knew the murdered girl slightly (through bell-ringing I believe).

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 09:16:30 »
The murdered young woman was on the way to church and was stabbed on the lines, she didn't crawl to the police station though and the man was caught and convicted of her crime ,I did have all the names and dates which I put on another history site no longer running but cannot find them ,it was in the 70s and the man lived in Boundary road Chatham at some point if I remember rightly.
***I am still the child within***

erfman

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 21:48:02 »
yes numanfan thats what I thought, it seem to trail off with no conviction. Perhaps some other members may have more info. erfman

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 21:34:22 »
erfman,  it was in the mid 1970's. The police took statements from all the men/boys in our area (Hartington Street), because we could see the Lines from our houses. They were particularly interested in people that had access to fishing knives.

I thought it was an unsolved crime, but I stand to be corrected.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

erfman

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 21:10:09 »
hi kevin payne, I was beginning to think that I'd imagined it. Do you  remember when it happened? erfman

kevin payne

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 20:23:04 »
Hi erfman, I recall this story well, they caught the murderer I believe he lived in Chatham and once attended Highfield school.

erfman

The Murder Behind the Town Hall Gardens, Chatham, 1974
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 20:01:01 »
i have this memory of a young lady who had been viciously assaulted. It was on the footpath behind the wall of the gardens at the bottom of the lines. She was stabbed several times, the poor girl managed to crawl all the way down to the rear of the police station. If my memory is correct, she died there! are my facts correct? i cannot remember when it happened, or the out come. Very sad. erfman

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines