News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Rochester Cathedral  (Read 39710 times)

Offline Glen

• Appreciation 6
    • Kent Today & Yesterday
Re: Rochester Cathedral
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 00:20:23 »
RWTA - I took a load of pics inside the cathedral a few months ago during a visit. Never saw a sign about photography then to be honest but no-one said anything to me. I walked around clicking away happily  :) I really hope they haven't stopped us taking pics now as I was hoping to make a return visit. Last time I had a stroppy two year old in tow so had to make it a flying visit.

Glen

aitch

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 22:09:31 »
In 1980 I was part of a group who went on pilgramage to Bec in Normandy where Gundulf came from, this was to celebrate the 850th anerversery of Gundulf starting to build the catherderal in 1130 there was also a group who left the tower of london which he also built - we met after a weeks walking and staying in various church halls ect to a large congretation and a service in the catherdral - I will never forget how proud I felt walking into the catherdral to everybody else clapping us in - the hairs still stand up on my neck thinking about it. We all signed a  wall hanging that was to be embroydered and hung in the catherdral don't know if it is still there - I would hope so.
 My late mother was also part of the gropu who walked from Bec. - A great experience -

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 20:35:39 »
More pics...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 20:26:04 »
 :)

Offline Glen

• Appreciation 6
    • Kent Today & Yesterday
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 00:18:52 »
We had a look around the cathedral a few weeks ago. I would have liked to have spent a couple of hours looking round but it's not the most interesting place for a restless 2 year old!  :)

A statue of Bishop John

A statue of Bishop Gundulf, builder of Rochester Castle

I did manage to take a lot more photos inside the Cathedral and will post some more up once time permits.

Glen

Offline Jon

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 21:16:34 »
It was in the cloisters that Henry VIII first met Anne of Cleaves.

He had never met her and had only seen the painting by Holben. So deciding he wanted to meet her he went as a 'Messenger of the King' with a gift for her.  He walked into the room, saw her and turned around and walked out taking the present with him!!

Apparently the painting is quite flattering!

and they say romance is dead!

Roffensis

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 21:59:51 »
The Cottingham tower has been described as "mean" by some leading eggspurts. I actually also prefer it to what is there now, with it's rather stubby spire. although apparently the current echoes the original, as old prints confirm.  

What offends me is the Scott east end gables. Those to the east end and north east transept were rasied by Scott, but not so the roof, which looks odd. More to the point the nave roof is lower anyhow, so that raising the east roofline, which point has again been mooted in recent times I understand, would dwarf the nave. I guess by now it's best just left alone!!!

Richard

merc

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 23:02:28 »
A wooden tower and spire were added to the Cathedral in 1343 but had fallen into disrepair by the late 19th century,losing the Spire in 1823. Much renovation then took place,funded by local benefactor Thomas Hellyar Foord,culminating in the restoration of the spire by 1904.

St Mary's Meadow is a green area between the Cathedral and the High Street. Several shops were pulled down in the late nineteenth century to open up more area and give an aspect of the cathedral from the High Street,this is also now the site of the War Memorial. The ornamental Gateway that leads through to the Cathedral grounds behind the war memorial was opened in 19

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:59:31 »
Not sure which style of tower i prefer. The one without a spire certainly looks more in keeping with the middle-ages.

Looking beyond the main subject as I always do, there are a number of things to catch the eye. The far skyline features Fort Amherst to the left of the tower and even more interestingly you can very clearly see the Jezreels Tower to the right. What a landmark that must have been.

Closer in it is interesting to see how the railway was carried on piers rather than an embankment as it is today.

I was in the Cathedral on Friday and what an inspiring place it is, always with something new to find.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 18:11:03 »
Stained glass window believed to be tudor

Paintwork hidden by whitewash to protect paintings from possible damage by Cromwells men

The wheel of fortune

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 11:01:06 »
Bishop John of Rochester (John of Sheppey, from the Northwood family?) built a large part of the old cathedral wall in the 14th century. his tomb can be found within the cathedral and was once hidden from view by a wall.  It is thought his tomb was bricked up to protect it from Cromwells men.  When revelaed in 1825 during alterations it was found to be in very good condition with the paint work still remaining.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 15:56:51 »
The cathedral was once described as a place of gambling and drinking!

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
Rochester Cathedral
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 21:11:18 »
Couple of pics  ;D

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines