News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Timber Seasoning Sheds. Built 1774 / 1775  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
Re: Timber Seasoning Sheds. Built 1774 / 1775
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 18:23:11 »
Pics restored....
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 22:25:34 »
Oh to see them full with access to a machine shop......................................... I can but dream. Great pics thanks. Sentinel S4
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 22:22:08 »
Heres some photos of the insides of the sheds opposite the old Galvanising Shop (now an arts workshop for the University of Kent).

As you can see, they were used for storing lengths of various types of metal in many different sizes.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:05:13 »
Just to confirm Clive's first posting. They were indeed used for the storage of iron. Not just Iron either, but all sorts of shapes, sizes and sorts of metal. The insides of the sheds are closed to the public, but I'll get some pics and post them.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 17:05:14 »
These Sheds are one of the unique features that make Chatham eligible for the World Heritage bid. They used to be common in all Royal Dockyards, crammed into every available spare plot of land. As cliveh says these are now the only surviving examples.

They were used to season and store timber so there was always a ready supply of useable materials on hand in case of repair, rebuilding, or even building new ships in times of war/emergency.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Timber Seasoning Sheds. Built 1774 / 1775
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:42:03 »
There are two rows of these at Chatham consisting of a total of 75 bays. In 1771 the Commissioners of the Admiralty Board had visited Chatham and were shocked to see howships constructed from poorly seasoned timber had rotted. Thereafter plans were made for the construction of timber seasoning sheds to a standard design at the various Royal Dockyards. They could hold up to 3 years supply of timber at each yard.

The two at Chatham are the last surviving examples in the country. I believe they were used in later years as iron stores.:

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines