News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Glencoe School Chatham  (Read 43349 times)

Offline DarrenUK

• Appreciation 0
Re: Glencoe School Chatham
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2018, 18:29:36 »
The "Happiest days of my Life", I went to Glencoe J. from 1984 to 1986.
Main-Class teachers I had, in order and God bless.

1984: Mrs. Clifton, who had the classroom at the top of the wooden stairs on the left, facing the upstairs landing.
1985: Mrs. Flint, she had the classroom across the top landing on the right.
1986: Mrs. Perrie who had the classroom left of the downstairs toilets, middle steps outside the entrance.

Had many great day outings: Star Farm Darland Banks Chatham, Dinosaur Museum London, Thorp Park, Another farm somewhere, Theatre play in London,
A day at Gatwick South Terminal Could smell the "Trebour Mint Factory" over the way.

Had work credits and if you had enough, you get to watch a movie in the TV Room.
Old Yellow, Tarka the Otter, Treasure of the Snow, I remember.

Also had Mr. Gibbons, aka Electric Gibbons, who walked like a robot with the limp leg for a few lessons.
I remember Mr. Carney on the piano in assemblies, he left in 1986, had some tears from some.

kandi901

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2014, 10:08:08 »
Do you know anybody in this photo ? Taken in 1962 it shows the Glencoe Rd School football team with teachers Brown on the left and Carney on the right. The front row left to right, John Mills, Ron Hinkins, Chris Woods, Bob Butler and ??. Back row left to right, Keith Reynolds, Parsons, goalkeeper, ??, Willie Forman and Derek Betts. Taken in the school hall and would like to know what`s on the shield in the background.

krissy.u

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2012, 10:35:05 »
In reply to Lutonman - sorry I just saw your posting of several months ago. Yes, my cousin Richard did go to Glencoe Road School in the late 50's.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2012, 12:08:41 »
I went to this school circa 57-61 dont remember the teachers much or the school for that matter but had a friend back then who live in the road called Michael David i often wonder what happened to him.
With school days i think if you enjoyed your time you tend to remember more i did not like any of my school experiences at all so my memories are just the odd friend i had back then not the school or teachers
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 21:38:56 »
Krissy.U, did you have a relative Richard Underdown, at the school late 50's?

julie

Re: glencoe school chatham
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2012, 14:52:31 »
yes i also remember most of the names you mentioned most of them went on to christchurch school from there .

krissy.u

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 12:34:21 »
Hi, My name's Kristine Underdown and I certainly remember Caroline Challis, she was in the lovely Mr. Brown's class with me in 1970-71.  I'm sure her best friend was Susan Clarke.  Also remember Kerry Oakes my best friend, and others in the class David Bowles, who came over from Australia - also Paul Paige, Clive Girling, Lorraine Norman, Faye Bevan, Francis Crow (who is married to my friend Sue Henniker), Johnny Steed (all the guys who were brilliant at football, and always in trouble!), Mandy Lacey, Julie from Otway Street.   I have fantastic memories of the school, and went past a few years ago - surprised that the black metal outside staircase at the back of the school, was no longer terrifying - at around age 7 it felt like climbing Everest.
Also remember Mr. Richardson, Fender, Gibbon (who always seemed to be in a bad temper), Miss Miller of course, and anyone remember Miss Saint, who taught my sister, Dawn Underdown.  My younger brother Mark also went to the school, and my father also went to the school from 1942 to 1945 - his name is Peter Underdown - wonder if anyone remembers him or anyone from that era?

Geoff B

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2012, 17:18:53 »
Mr Brown taught my father in the 30s me early 50s and snodland malc 60s so he had quite along career teaching all the years I knew him he always wore the same coat [unless he had a 2nd identical] a brown herringbone sports jacket very nice teacher.

He taught my dad and me and yes he still had the coat. he lived in Gladstone Rd

Geoff B

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2012, 16:15:19 »
remember miss payne because she was my teacher,also mr bird(who took us for football practice,always reminded me of bobby charlton)and mr carney because i played football for glencoe we even won the cronian cup(think that how it was spelt) beating barnsole school up on chatham football ground in which was only a minutes walk from where i lived, mr carney was our coach them days,miss rablah was in the infants,did have a photo somewhere of our class with her in it,also on freinds re-united  someone has put the same  photo on it.

I was in the school team that won the croneen cup it was 0-0 shared with Luton

Geoff B

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 16:12:43 »
I went to Glencoe in 1959 to 1964 .Mr Fender, Mr Brown, Mr Carney, Mr Bird. Mr Richardson Mrs Singleton her son was in in my class. I remember Mr Richards had a kit car something like an MG or E type sports. it was Green.I played in the school football team. I also remember White Rd annexe. great memrories. I also remember an irish lady teacher but cannot remember her name. if only we can turn the clock back. Martin Cox the All Saints Church vicars son was in my class along with Valerie Regan, Barry Lacy and Peter Reynolds. Thanks for the memories for all those that wrote. I remember Mr Bird, Mr Carney, Mr Brown taking Barry Lacy Roger Steed Kenny Rodgers, phillip Maidment and myself to the Medway Boys football trials. and ask winning the Croneen Cup. I still have the medal and the photo somewhere i will have to try and find it.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 16:10:39 »
During the war years pupils were evacuated to Wales.  Teachers accompanied their pupils.
My wife's class went to Ystalyfera, just north of Swansea, with teacher Miss Hall. Was only there for about a year.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:32 »
A Brief History - compiled by Glencoe Junior School.

Glencoe Junior Schools were opened on 5th March 1906.  The first floor housed the girls and the ground floor the boys.  The original building was much smaller than it is today.  The largest class consisted of 65 pupils.  Seating in classrooms would have been tiered and it was probably very cold at the back where pupils were furthest from the open fire.  The boys’ and girls’ entrances were on opposite sides on the building and contact would have been very limited.  The opening page of the original boys’ log book provides us with a feeling for the gradually developing educational provision at the turn of the century:

“Many scholars have been running the streets, some for upwards of two years.  General attainment therefore, very low.  An elementary written test confirms this.”

In May 1930, the building was extended providing eight additional classrooms.  Class sizes continued to be in the high fifties.
During the war years pupils were evacuated to Wales.  Teachers accompanied their pupils.
Further extension was made to the school in the 1960’s.  The lower hall was enlarged and what is now the main entrance to Glencoe road was created.  The girls’ entrances were lost whilst the original boys’ entrances exist today.
The new Glencoe mixed school grew in size, and at one time over 700 pupils attended.  A special unit was housed on the site for pupils with learning difficulties.
During the 1980’s various re-organisations at County level saw the Unit change to a base for children with behavioural difficulties.  Eventually this ceased to be housed in the school with the creation of ‘pupil referral units’; one of which is based in the old infant building which shares our site.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 12:31:12 »
It has been proposed that the schools name will be Pheonix  and the uniform colour and logo will change.  There is a consultation approaching on this decision.  This is due to it becoming an academy.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 11:25:11 »
Looking at some of the collars on the boys and the Master I would guess that the photo is pre WW1. There seem to be a few budding Naval personel in there also. I would now be looking for Great Grand Father/Grandfather status.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

theboywarner

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2012, 10:37:20 »
I was a Glencoe road in 63 infants the primary I remember Miss payne she used to say " I might be cabbage looking but I am not green " we also had hamsters or guinea pigs at infants and used to bring cabbage in .oh and the harvest festival also when people left we sang "God be with you till we meet again"
I also loved the PE equipment the lttle slide and benches with wheels not forgetting bean bags. I remember Tony Cairns  and ....his tall mate from south hill road also Steve Humphreys and kevin Hughs and franci Rattigan  playing football with a tennis ball chasing the twins Terry Mills ,slow worms ,birds nests its all coming back to me ,oh and chinese laterns ..........

be really please to hear from anyone from this period

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines